Parmigiano Reggiano Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Make this inspired combination of macaroni cheese and cauliflower cheese – taken to new heights with plenty of Parmigiano Reggiano!
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
150g Macaroni or tubular pasta shapes
500g Cauliflower, broken into florets
50g Plain flour
150g Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
2 tsp. Wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp. Dried breadcrumbs (e.g. Panko)
A few cherry tomatoes, halved
8 Slices pancetta
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- Put the pasta into a large saucepan with the cauliflower and cook in gently boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Meanwhile, put the milk, butter and flour into a large saucepan (preferably non-stick) and bring to the boil, stirring constantly with a whisk to give a smooth sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in about three-quarters of the Parmigiano Reggiano and mustard. Avoid doing this over the heat, as it could make the sauce stringy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill and warm a large heatproof serving dish underneath it for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the pasta and cauliflower very thoroughly, then tip it into the warm serving dish.
- Pour the sauce over the top, mixing it in gently.
- Scatter the breadcrumbs and reserved cheese over the top.
- Dot the halved cherry tomatoes over the surface and arrange the pancetta slices on top.
- Grill for 6-8 minutes until the pancetta is crispy and the surface is golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve, garnished with chopped flat leaf parsley.
Cook’s tip: This is a great family meal, though if there are just two of you, share the quantity between 2 serving dishes and freeze one for another time.