Parmigiano Reggiano Minestrone
This classic minestrone is delicious – and it’s SO easy to make! It’s packed with healthy vegetables, and the Parmigiano Reggiano adds a wonderful flavour and authenticity – and some valuable protein too.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time50 mins
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 Large onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 Carrots, chopped into small pieces
3 Celery sticks, thinly sliced
1/2 Medium swede, chopped into small cubes
50g Fine green beans, trimmed and sliced
1.5 Litres vegetable stock
410g Can borlotti, cannellini or haricot beans in water, drained
400g Can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. Tomato puree
1 tbsp. Dried mixed Italian herbs
Chunk of rind from Parmigiano Reggiano, for added flavour
80g Small pasta shapes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, swede and green beans.
- Fry gently over a medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the stock, then add the canned beans, tomatoes, tomato puree and dried herbs.
- Add the chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano rind – this will impart a delicious flavour to the soup.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the pasta to the saucepan.
- Stir well, then cook for 8-10 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Season, then serve, sprinkled with lots of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Cook’s tip: Always remember to make use of the flavourful rind from your chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano – especially good in soups and risottos.