Paella is one of those one-pan meals that, if done correctly, is something truly outstanding.
- Preparation Time3 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion roughly chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
150 g chorizo, roughly chopped
Pinch of saffron strands
1 tsp smoked paprika
300 g tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
250g paella rice
800 ml hot chicken stock
80 g PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers Mild or Hot Whole, roughly chopped
150 g frozen peas
300 g raw prawns
30 g flat leaf parsley, leaves and stalks separated and finely chopped
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large lidded casserole dish then stir in the onion with a large pinch of salt and sauté on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft, then add the chorizo and cook off for a couple of minutes until it has released its oil.
- Turn the heat down to low, and add the garlic, paprika, saffron, and parsley stalks, and cook, stirring regularly for 1 minute, then stir in the tomato puree, and chopped tomatoes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat, cook for 1 minute then pour in all but 150 ml of the stock, and bring up to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes with the lid on.
- Stir in the PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers, peas, prawns and another ladle of the stock, turn the heat up and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the prawns are pinked and cooked through.
- Season well, and serve scattered with the chopped parsley leaves and lemon wedges.
Serve paella with Caesar salad, roasted red peppers, and bread.