Rachel Khoo's Summer salad with a perfectly soft boiled egg
When you're craving a bit of crunch, there’s nothing quite like a raw salad to satisfy that urge. This crunchy shaved salad gets a main course makeover with the addition of a soft cooked egg and flaked smoked fish.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time6 mins
For the salad
For the dressing
Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Use a speed peeler to make celery ribbons, then pat them with kitchen towel to remove the excess moisture. Repeat with asparagus. Toss the celeriac, apple and celery with the dressing in a serving bowl. Add the peas.
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Pierce the larger end of the egg with a pin and gently lower each egg into the hot water. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and begin timing. Allow 6 minutes for large eggs and 5 minutes for medium, then remove and run under cold water. peel the eggs.
Peel off the skin of the fish and flake the flesh into the bowl with the salad. Gently mix together before dividing between serving plates and placing an egg on top. Scatter with the chives.
1. Don't fret about the freshness of your eggs. When it comes to boiled eggs, the older they are the easier you’ll find them to peel.
2. If using asparagus for this salad, snap the ends off, the stem will naturally snap at the point where the woody part of the asparagus begins. No need to cut. Peeling the stems finely on a speed peeler is a lovely way of preparing them, creating delicate wisps/ribbons from them which are delicious raw.
3. A mandoline is a really useful piece of kitchen kit that does away with the need for super advanced knife skills. It allows you to slice really fine, even slices at high speed. Just be sure to use your finger guard, the blades are very sharp and especially effective on finger tips!!
4. Peas are spring in the freezer. While I love a fresh pea popped from its pod, peas are an essential in my freezer and my kids love them.
5. While shopping for really fresh fish can sometimes be a challenge if you aren’t by the coast, opting for a smoked fish, which will store well in the fridge for as long as 14 days if not longer if well sealed and packed (check your individual packets though).
6. If you don’t have white wine vinegar any other vinegar would work well: red wine, sherry, balsamic.
7. If you are shaving the celeriac ahead of time, you can stop it discoloring by adding a little lemon juice to a bowl of water.
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Chef Gordon Ramsay is on a mission to prove it is possible to cook spectacular dishes at home. He shares his favourite easy recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with the help of his beautiful family.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Man Fire Food
Roger Mooking travels across the USA to visit home cooks, pitmasters, and chefs who use inventive ways to cook with fire.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Yum And Yummer
Eddie Jackson tracks down the yummiest dishes and cuisines around the world. From luxurious dinner and dessert to an epic midnight snack, Eddie shares the ins and outs of what makes these meals spectacular.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
John Torode's Middle East
Chef John Torode sets out on a culinary journey of the Middle East to discover how so many communities have thrived there. He samples familiar favourites and new flavours that inspire him to create exciting dishes of his own.
Gok Cooks Chinese
Gok Wan celebrates the beauty and diversity of Chinese food by offering a modern take on the dishes he grew up on. He demonstrates how to make some of his favourite recipes that are quick, easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Spring Baking Championship
A group of America’s top bakers compete in several exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring. The baker who comes out on top will claim the title of Baking Champion and take home an amazing cash prize.