Rachel Khoo's Summer salad with a perfectly soft boiled egg
When you're craving a bit of crunch, there’s nothing quite like a raw salad to satisfy that urge. This crunchy shaved salad gets a main course makeover with the addition of a soft cooked egg and flaked smoked fish.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time6 mins
For the salad
For the dressing
Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Use a speed peeler to make celery ribbons, then pat them with kitchen towel to remove the excess moisture. Repeat with asparagus. Toss the celeriac, apple and celery with the dressing in a serving bowl. Add the peas.
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Pierce the larger end of the egg with a pin and gently lower each egg into the hot water. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and begin timing. Allow 6 minutes for large eggs and 5 minutes for medium, then remove and run under cold water. peel the eggs.
Peel off the skin of the fish and flake the flesh into the bowl with the salad. Gently mix together before dividing between serving plates and placing an egg on top. Scatter with the chives.
1. Don't fret about the freshness of your eggs. When it comes to boiled eggs, the older they are the easier you’ll find them to peel.
2. If using asparagus for this salad, snap the ends off, the stem will naturally snap at the point where the woody part of the asparagus begins. No need to cut. Peeling the stems finely on a speed peeler is a lovely way of preparing them, creating delicate wisps/ribbons from them which are delicious raw.
3. A mandoline is a really useful piece of kitchen kit that does away with the need for super advanced knife skills. It allows you to slice really fine, even slices at high speed. Just be sure to use your finger guard, the blades are very sharp and especially effective on finger tips!!
4. Peas are spring in the freezer. While I love a fresh pea popped from its pod, peas are an essential in my freezer and my kids love them.
5. While shopping for really fresh fish can sometimes be a challenge if you aren’t by the coast, opting for a smoked fish, which will store well in the fridge for as long as 14 days if not longer if well sealed and packed (check your individual packets though).
6. If you don’t have white wine vinegar any other vinegar would work well: red wine, sherry, balsamic.
7. If you are shaving the celeriac ahead of time, you can stop it discoloring by adding a little lemon juice to a bowl of water.
Rachel Khoo's Simple Pleasures
Rachel Khoo demonstrates how to cook the mouth-watering dishes that she loves to make at home. She uses her usual flair and creativity to transform simple ingredients found at the local shop into extraordinary meals.
Hairy Bikers' Mississippi Adventure
Dave Myers and Si King go on a whirlwind tour of the American South, exploring the classic food and soulful music that is famous the world over.
Burgers, Brew & 'que
Meat lovers rejoice! Michael Symon is taking a summer road trip to taste the best of the American classics: mouth-watering burgers and tender barbecue.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Trisha's Southern Kitchen
Country music star and best-selling cookbook author Trisha Yearwood provides access to her kitchen. She prepares southern-inspired meals for her family and friends and shares her favourite recipes that have been passed down from generations.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Guy's Grocery Games
Host and legendary chef Guy Fieri sends four talented chefs running through the aisles in a high-stakes, high skills, grocery store cooking competition.
Gok Wan's Chinese Takeaway
Gok Wan heads to numerous cities in Europe, Asia and Australia to explore how communities across the globe have developed a more modern take on Chinese cuisine.
James Martin's United Cakes Of America
English chef James Martin sets off on an epic road trip across America, combining his passion for both cakes and cars. He learns the secrets behind some of their amazing baked goods and is inspired to create his own delicious recipes.
Eat, Sleep, BBQ
Chef Rashad Jones is a lover of all things BBQ. He sets out on a road trip across the US to meet people who share this same passion. On the way, he’ll celebrate and eat the country’s best barbecue dishes, from the classics to the unexpected.
30 Minute Meals
Today, time is short and ordering food to your door is easy. So now, Cooking queen Rachael Ray shares her delicious and satisfying quick dinner recipes.
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.