Rachel Khoo's Summer salad with a perfectly soft boiled egg
When you're craving a bit of crunch, there’s nothing quite like a raw salad to satisfy that urge. This crunchy shaved salad gets a main course makeover with the addition of a soft cooked egg and flaked smoked fish.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time6 mins
For the salad
For the dressing
Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Use a speed peeler to make celery ribbons, then pat them with kitchen towel to remove the excess moisture. Repeat with asparagus. Toss the celeriac, apple and celery with the dressing in a serving bowl. Add the peas.
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Pierce the larger end of the egg with a pin and gently lower each egg into the hot water. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and begin timing. Allow 6 minutes for large eggs and 5 minutes for medium, then remove and run under cold water. peel the eggs.
Peel off the skin of the fish and flake the flesh into the bowl with the salad. Gently mix together before dividing between serving plates and placing an egg on top. Scatter with the chives.
1. Don't fret about the freshness of your eggs. When it comes to boiled eggs, the older they are the easier you’ll find them to peel.
2. If using asparagus for this salad, snap the ends off, the stem will naturally snap at the point where the woody part of the asparagus begins. No need to cut. Peeling the stems finely on a speed peeler is a lovely way of preparing them, creating delicate wisps/ribbons from them which are delicious raw.
3. A mandoline is a really useful piece of kitchen kit that does away with the need for super advanced knife skills. It allows you to slice really fine, even slices at high speed. Just be sure to use your finger guard, the blades are very sharp and especially effective on finger tips!!
4. Peas are spring in the freezer. While I love a fresh pea popped from its pod, peas are an essential in my freezer and my kids love them.
5. While shopping for really fresh fish can sometimes be a challenge if you aren’t by the coast, opting for a smoked fish, which will store well in the fridge for as long as 14 days if not longer if well sealed and packed (check your individual packets though).
6. If you don’t have white wine vinegar any other vinegar would work well: red wine, sherry, balsamic.
7. If you are shaving the celeriac ahead of time, you can stop it discoloring by adding a little lemon juice to a bowl of water.
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Bake Off: The Professionals
Teams of professional pastry chefs across Britain compete in a spectacular bake-off. They create exquisite desserts and showpieces in a bid to impress world-renowned judges and be crowned the winner.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie Oliver explores the history of British food and how British cuisine has been influenced by centuries of invasion, exploration, and immigration. He samples modern and traditional dishes and cooks up delicious meals inspired by his trip.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Michel Roux’s French Country Cooking
Michel Roux Jr showcases the unique cuisine of Southern France. He sources incredible local ingre-dients, samples delicious dishes and shares his favourite recipes that are simple and easy to make.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.