Feed the whole family with this simple, comforting bake.
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the breadcrumb topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Sweat the onion, garlic, thyme and sage in 2 tbsp olive oil until softened.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, passata, vinegar and sugar and simmer for 20 minutes to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves. Season to taste.
4. Meanwhile, cook seasoned aubergine slices on an oiled griddle, in batches, until softened and slightly charred.
5. Layer tomato sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano and aubergines in a large ovenproof dish, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce.
6. Mix together the breadcrumb topping ingredients and sprinkle over the tomato layer.
7. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes until cooked through and golden. Rest for 5 minutes before serving with extra Parmigiano Reggiano and basil.
Recipe courtesy of Parmigiano Reggiano