Bacon Dried Shrimp and Spring Onion Chueng Fun Rolls
For the sweet fragrant soy sauce
1. In a small frying pan, dry fry add most of the bacon lardons and fry until crispy and remove.
2. Rehydrate the dried shrimp in hot water for 20 minutes, remove and finely chop.
3. Sift the rice flour into a bowl with the pepper. Sift in the wheat starch and tapioca starch. Add the salt and mix well. Then add in the cold water and mix well to combine, to become a watery floury opaque liquid (the consistency is like a very thin batter). Add the groundnut oil to the liquid. Set aside.
4. Take a ladle and place into the flour liquid, ladle one ladleful into a heat proof square glass dish (25cm X 25cm X 25cm, internal area size 19cm X 19cm) make sure it fits inside a wok or steamer).
5. Sprinkle over the bacon bits, the dried shrimp and the spring onion (not too much or you will weaken the rice roll). Then place on a steam rack set over a wok full of water, making sure the dish is set straight. Place the lid on and then steam on high heat for 7 minutes. Take the lid off the wok and remove the dish and set on a cold water tray bath to cool and set the rice noodle roll.
6. As that cools and sets, take another shallow heat proof dish (the exact same one as the first, this ensure equal sized rolls) and repeat the process and set to steam for 7 minutes. With the set and cooled Cheung fun, take a spatula and loosen the sides and then start to loosen the roll and roll in onto itself into a long rectangular shape.
7. Set aside on a heatproof dish. Recipe makes 5 rolls. Stack them onto a heatproof place and then place onto a steamer rack in a wok and steam covered for 2 minutes to warm through.
8. Heat the pan with reserved flavour from the bacon and place on the heat. Add the water, low sodium light soy, sugar and sesame oil and cook for 1 minute then strain into a small heatproof bowl.
9. Remove the Cheung fun rolls from the wok and then pour over the seasoned soy liquid and serve immediately.
Ching's Bacon and Shrimp Chueng Fun Rolls
Other recipes with bacon
Avocado and Smoked Maple Bacon Sandwich with Bacon Jam
Toad in the Hole with Gorgonzola and Cumberland Sausages
Sweet Potato and Bacon Bites with Creamy Mustard Dipping Sauce
Fillet of Beef Bourguignon with Red Wine
Breakfast Eggs in Yorkshire Pudding Cups, 4 Ways
Baked Brie with Cranberry-Pecan-Bacon Crumble
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie Oliver explores the history of British food and how British cuisine has been influenced by centuries of invasion, exploration, and immigration. He samples modern and traditional dishes and cooks up delicious meals inspired by his trip.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Bake Off: The Professionals
Teams of professional pastry chefs across Britain compete in a spectacular bake-off. They create exquisite desserts and showpieces in a bid to impress world-renowned judges and be crowned the winner.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Michel Roux’s French Country Cooking
Michel Roux Jr showcases the unique cuisine of Southern France. He sources incredible local ingre-dients, samples delicious dishes and shares his favourite recipes that are simple and easy to make.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Help Is On The Way
Chef Robert Irvine attempts to save a failing golf course restaurant in Akron, Ohio. Can he turn this business around in just two days?
Ainsley prepares dishes for special occasions, including chorizo-crusted hake. And, food writer Alex Hollywood serves up pineapple and cinnamon tarte tatin.
16-Min Meals: Cowboy Favorites
Ree shares yummy 16-minute recipes for cowboys and cowgirls. She makes steak medallions and potatoes, and gnocchi with chorizo and corn.
Brownies Vs. Blondies
Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli split the 10 remaining young bakers to settle the debate – which are better, brownies or blondies?
Bakin' With Bacon
12 young bakers are competing to impress the judges with their bacon cupcakes. They must use their assigned ingredient in a creative way for a chance to win.
Spots And Stripes Forever
The 11 remaining young bakers are challenged to make mini cheesecakes with colourful animal prints, from tiger to zebra – who will impress the judges?
Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli challenge the kid bakers to create cakes with gravity-defying illusions on them. Whose extraordinary cake will rise to the top?
In the finale, Valerie Bertinelli and Duff Goldman want cakes that have rainbows on the inside and outside. Who will win the $25,000 and title?
Bite-Sized Birthday Party
The kid bakers are tasked with creating bite-sized birthday party desserts for an outdoor party. Who will impress the judges?
A brand-new group of incredible kid bakers introduce themselves and get creative with selfie-inspired eclairs in a variety of assigned flavours.
Valerie Bertinelli and Duff Goldman challenge the kid bakers to make meat, spinach and mushroom or veggie-Pesto lasagne to get to the final round.
The kid bakers are tasked with turning unexpected baked items like waffles, blondies and cupcakes into outrageous and impressive ice cream sandwiches.
You're In The Ballpark
The talented kid bakers are challenged to make over-the-top ballpark popcorn-inspired desserts. Whose creation will knock the competition out of the park?
Sea-List to A-List
The celebrity recruits dive into the world of seafood by solving a recipe riddle to make ceviche. And, the chefs show them how to butcher their own fish.
Cleaning Up In Mississippi
In Mississippi, a husband and wife are on the brink of divorce because of their failing restaurant. They call on chef Robert Irvine for help.
Desserts Doing Good
The final three young bakers create cakes to impress the judges. They must stick to a school club theme for a chance to be crowned winner and take home $25,000.
The sun is shining, and Ree is doing some California-style cooking. She makes wine-roasted chicken with pistachio pesto pasta and vibrant cauliflower tacos.
Friends In Need
Robert arrives at New Orleans to find a restaurant full of history but in need of his help. The livelihood of two families depends on its success.
After fishing in Le Grau-du-Roi, Michel shares his recipe for a flavourful mackerel dish. Later, he cooks a succulent roast chicken with herb butter.