Bastilla of Roasted and Steamed Vegetables
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time60 mins
1. Peel the parsnips and carrots and then cut them into 3" batons about 1/2" wide. Peel the onions taking care to leave as much of the root on as possible. Cut into quarters through the root, this will help the pieces to stay intact.
2. Core the peppers and cut into 1/2" batons.
3. Take the seeds from the cardamom pods and crush them along with the cumin seeds and the saffron. Mix in the oil and then toss all the prepared vegetables in this.
4. Spread the vegetables and the oil in a roasting dish and cook in a hot oven 200°C 400°F gas 6 for 30 minutes or until they are cooked through and lightly coloured.
5. Using a slotted spoon lift the vegetables from the dish reserving the oil.
6. Meanwhile bring a large pan of well salted water to the boil and when it's simmering blanch the baby corn for 2 minutes timing from the moment that the water returns to the boil. Lift from the pan and drop into iced water. Pull the strings from the mange tout and cut the courgettes in half lengthways and blanch these in the same way, again cooling in the iced water.
7. Drain and leave to dry for a few moments on a clean tea towel.
8. Pour the oil into a small saucepan and scrape in the spices. Season well and add the butter, heating until it is melted.
9. Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper.
10. Open the filo pastry and unfold. Brushing each sheet with butter gradually build up a square of filo about 24" across, making sure the centre, which will be the base of your pie, is several sheets thick.
11. Now layer half the parsnip mixture in an 8" circle in the centre of the pastry. Lay the blanched vegetables on top building them up to form an even tower. Lay the remaining parsnip mixture on top again spacing and mixing the vegetables evenly. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the balsamic vinegar.
12. Brush the edges of the pastry with butter and fold over making a rough but complete lid. Now drizzle the remaining butter and spices over the pie gently brushing to make sure the whole outer layer is coated with the mixture. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and chill until needed.
13. To cook the bastilla heat the oven to 200°C 400°F gas 6 for 25-35 minutes or until a rich golden brown.
Other recipes with pastry
Smoked Gouda and Leek Tart
Whole-Grain Pumpkin Scones
Cheese and Spinach Puff Pastry Pockets
Spinach and Feta Quiche
Smoked Salmon Puffs
Crispy Smoked Mozzarella with Honey and Figs
Pigs-in-a-Blanket with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
Brie En Croute
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Asparagus Tart
Welsh Wine, Goat's Cheese, Leek and Parma Ham Tart
Roasted Rhubarb and Almond Tartlets
Rhubarb and Custard Pie
Parma Ham and Wild Mushroom Beef Wellington
Mini Carrot Cakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
Steak and Ale Pie
Cheese & Chocolate Half n’ Half Tree
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.