Beef skirt and fruity pears wrapped in crusty pastry.
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time60 mins
For the pastry
1. Make the meaty bit of the filling: heat half the vegetable oil in a large heavy-based frying pan and gently cook the onions for 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
2. Heat the pan again over a high heat, add the rest of the vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and add the chopped meat. Cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, turning, until evenly browned. Remove the meat from the pan and mix with the onions.
3. Add the stock to the pan together with the Worcestershire sauce, and boil until you have only 2-3 tablespoons left, then add the meat and onions back to the pan and cook over a high heat until the sauce has reduced until it is just coating the meat. Remove from heat and keep warm.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
5. Meanwhile, make the pastry: mix the flour, salt, suet and grated butter with your fingers into a fine breadcrumb-like consistency. Mix in about 150-160ml water and the beaten egg to form a smooth dough and knead.
6. Next, spoon the meat filling in one half and the pear into the other, using a little piece of moulded spare pastry to separate the two in the centre. Roll the pastry over into a large sausage roll shape, place on a lightly greased or non-stick baking tray.
7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.