Braised collard greens on polenta cakes
- Preparation Time45 mins
- Cooking Time165 mins
For the polenta cakes
For the greens
For the turkey stock
1) Butter a half-sheet pan (about 30 by 44cm), line it with parchment paper, and butter the parchment paper. Set aside.
2) Bring the vegetable stock, salt, white pepper and cayenne to a boil in a medium saucepan over a high heat. With the stock boiling gradually pour in the polenta, while whisking constantly. After the polenta is incorporated, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until the polenta is thick, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
3) Spread the polenta in an even layer about 1cm thick over the prepared pan and refrigerate until set and firm, at least 1 hour.
4) Turn the piece of polenta out onto a clean cutting board. Using a 3cm round or square cutter, cut the sheet into small cakes. Pour the flour onto a plate and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour.
5) Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and fry the cakes, in batches, until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
For the greens:
1) Bring the smoked turkey stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Add the greens and adjust the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and add the cider vinegar.
2) Top each polenta cake with some of the braised greens and serve.
Smoked turkey stock:
1) Bring 3.3L of water to a boil in a large pot. Add all the ingredients, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth into a large bowl or plastic container.
2) If not using the stock immediately, fill the sink up with ice water to come about halfway up the sides of the container. Nestle the broth in the cold bath and stir it periodically to cool it down. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Other recipes with turkey
Tom Aiken's Gravy
Roasted Turkey and Basil Pinwheel Sandwiches
Mini Italian Club Sandwiches
Turkey, Wild Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto
The Ultimate Turkey Gobbler Sandwich with Cranberry Mayo
Christmas Turkey Penne with Lemon, Walnut & Ginger
Turkey and Creamy Stilton Pies
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Pan-fried Turkey, Brie and Cranberry Sandwich
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Turkey Lasagne with Butternut Squash and Spinach
Turkey Strudel with Wild Mushrooms and Chestnuts
Roasted Turkey Gravy
Roasted Turkey with Fig, Apple and Shallot Stuffing with Fresh Sage
Roasted Turkey with Spiced Cranberry, Apple and Sage Stuffing
No-Baste, No-Bother Roasted Turkey
Roasted Turkey Breast with Peach Rosemary Glaze
Turkey Meatballs on a Bed of Leeks
Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.