Brown angel iced sweet potato biscuits
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
For the biscuits
For the cream cheese icing
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, nutmeg, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt, and set aside.
2) Whisk together, with an electric mixer, the butter and sugar. Add the egg, molasses, butter essence, sweet potato, and orange zest.
3) Carefully fold dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture with a rubber spatula. Stir in the pecans, if using.
4) Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking paper-lined biscuit tray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5) Decorate with cream cheese icing and serve.
For the cream cheese icing:
1) In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, blend cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the maple or vanilla essence, and mix on high speed until incorporated.
2) Pipe the cream cheese icing on biscuits in any desired pattern with a piping bag. You can also warm the icing in a microwave for a few seconds until smooth and drizzle onto the biscuits.