Buttermilk Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwich
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
1. Begin by marinating the chicken. Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl and season generously. Add the chicken thighs, making sure they are totally covered. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. To make the waffles, preheat the oven to 110°C. Sift 125g of the flour into a large bowl. Add the baking powder, sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and a good grinding of black pepper. Mix well, then make a well in the centre of the bowl. Add the egg, milk and melted butter and whisk to form a thick batter. Fold in the crumbled bacon, spring onions and cheddar cheese.
3. Lightly grease your waffle maker with cooking spray or brush with a little melted butter. Pour a ladleful of the batter into each well then close and cook until crisp and golden. Set the waffles aside and repeat until you have used up all the batter, keeping them warm in the oven while you get on with the chicken.
4. Remove the chicken from the fridge about 30 mins before you are ready to fry. Begin by heating the oil in a large heavy duty pan. It should reach about 170°C or until a cube of bread goes golden and crispy within a minute. Place a wire rack over an oven tray and set aside.
5. Tip the remaining flour onto a shallow dish with the smoked paprika, garlic granules, 1/2 tsp salt and plenty of black pepper. Dip each piece of buttermilk chicken in the mixture to thoroughly coat then transfer to a plate. Once the oil has reached the right temperature, fry the chicken pieces until crisp and golden, about 8-10 minutes. Place on the wire rack to drain while you assemble the sandwich.
6. To serve, layer a waffle with fried chicken, Sriracha Mayo, lettuce, tomato and avocado and sandwich with another waffle, using a toothpick to hold together. Serve with coleslaw and corn on the cob.
Other recipes with bacon
Broiled Porterhouse with Roasted Garlic and Lemon
Microwave Red Cabbage with Bacon and Caraway Seeds
Wilted Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Roasted Parsnips with Cheese and Bacon
Egg-and-Kimchi Rice Bowls
The Ultimate Turkey Gobbler Sandwich with Cranberry Mayo
Turkey Strudel with Wild Mushrooms and Chestnuts
Sticky Bacon-Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts
Baked Brie with Cranberry-Pecan-Bacon Crumble
Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
Wormy Weenie Sandwiches
Slow cooked potatoes with butter and thyme
Ginger and Coriander Corn Salad
Avocado and Smoked Maple Bacon Sandwich with Bacon Jam
Toad in the Hole with Gorgonzola and Cumberland Sausages
Sweet Potato and Bacon Bites with Creamy Mustard Dipping Sauce
Fillet of Beef Bourguignon with Red Wine
Brussels sprouts with bacon and cheese
BLT Pasta Skillet
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown
Teams tackle themed gingerbread build challenges for a prize worth $10,000.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Gordon Ramsay shares his top recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Beasts And Bourbon
Four chefs are challenged to make a meal using high rye bourbon and bison ribeye. Later, they must create a dessert featuring chunky blue cheese dressing.
Guy Fieri brings together four all-star chefs to test their burger-making prowess. In one round, they must make an over-the-top burger and fries combo.
GGG Winning Teams
Winning teams from previous competitions are back for another culinary battle. In one game, they must shop without carts for their surf and turf ingredients.
GGG Winners And Their Dads
Four winners are joined by their fathers to take on Guy’s culinary challenges. The team who emerges victorious will win a prize worth up to $20,000.
Big Budget Bonanza
Four chefs take on Guy Fieri’s brutal budget bonanza. In one round, a wheel determines what ingredients the chefs can use for their breakfast creations.
Five-Dollar Price Check
Guy Fieri challenges four talented chefs to only shop for ingredients under $5. The most budget-savvy chef will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Allegra is in Antalya to sample a traditional Turkish breakfast, before exploring one the city’s largest markets. Later, she cooks prawns Halicarnassus.
Allegra continues her culinary adventure in Aydin, where she meets one of Turkey’s largest olive oil producers. Plus, she shares her recipe for poached quince.
Here To Persevere!
Host Ted Allen challenges four chefs to make an appetiser using cocktail fruit slices, canned clam sauce and sausage-stuffed pancakes on sticks.
Grandma Grocery Games
Guy Fieri welcomes four grandmothers to show off their culinary skills. In one round, they must cook their most requested family dish.
All ABC Games
Guy Fieri invites chefs to compete in three rounds featuring seafood and fried ingredients. The winner will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
All-Stars' Full Meal
Celebrity chefs take on three-course meal challenges. In one round, the chefs must include a special ingredient of Guy's choosing in their international dish.
Guy Fieri welcomes three couples to take on his culinary games. In one round, the loved-up duos must work against the clock to make a wedding dinner.
Pro Athletes And Judges
Guy invites three professional athletes to test their culinary skills. In one round, the sporting stars must shop for their ingredients while blindfolded.
Allegra travels to the Aegean coast and explores the diet of Turkey’s past. Back at home, she feels inspired to make a tasty artichoke and sausage salad.
Allegra heads to the vibrant city of Bursa and explores the morning food markets. Later, she learns from the grandson of the man who invented the doner kebab.
Three teams of chefs represent their restaurants as they compete in two action-packed rounds. The winning team will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to get creative and assemble tasty sandwiches. The chef who has the most skill between two slices of bread will win up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri gives four home cooks a chance to prove their culinary skills. The rookie who best rises to the challenge will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.