Carrot ice cream cake
- Preparation Time120 mins
- Cooking Time180 mins
For the carrot cake
For the cheese ice cream
For the carrot ice cream
For the pineapple sauce
For the white chocolate spray
For the sugar mixture
1) In a mixing bowl, with paddle attachment, add the oil and sugar. Mix well, about 1 minute.
2) Add the eggs to the bowl and mix. Once the eggs are mixed, sift the dry ingredients and add to the bowl. Mix until incorporated. When the flour has been mixed, add the carrots, drained pineapple and nuts. Mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Pour the mixture onto a full sized sheet pan that has been lined with a silpat.
3) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and bake until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes, rotating at the halfway point.
4) Cool the cake to room temperature then place in the freezer to chill.
For the cheese ice cream:
1) Place the milk, cream, half of the sugar, glucose and salt in a saucepan. Bring it to a simmer.
2) While this is heating, crack the yolks, and place the other half of the sugar to the side.
3) Place the cheese in a bain marie that has an ice bath nearby.
4) Once the milks are hot, whisk the sugar into the yolks, temper the eggs with the hot milk, and stir. Place it back in the pan, and onto medium heat. Cook the ice cream until thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Pour the anglaise into the bain marie, over the cheese. Allow it to cool completely, then blend the anglaise and strain it through a fine sieve. Pour into your ice cream machine and chill in freezer for at least 1 hour.
For the carrot ice cream:
1) Begin by peeling and juicing approximately 30 carrots. Using a juicer, juice the carrots to yield 2L juice. Cook the carrot juice until reduced to about 1/2 a litre. It should have become thick.
2) Juice 1 pineapple with a juicer and then just like the carrot juice, cook it until reduced to 100ml.
3) To begin the ice cream, place the milk and cream in a saucepan. Mix together the sugar, dry milk, dry glucose and stabilizer. Whisk it into the milks. Cook the mixture to 85 degrees C.
4) While the mixture is heating pour the carrot juice and pineapple into a bain marie with an ice bath. Pour the mixture over the juices and cool completely.
5) Strain through a chinois and put in ice cream machine. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
For the pineapple chips:
1) With the left over pulp from the grated pineapple from the carrot cake, place it into the blender and puree. Pat the chips out onto a silpat and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
2) Preheat the oven to 100 degrees C.
3) Place the chips into the oven for at least 2 hours.
4) Once the chips are dry, take the chips out of the oven, and turn the temperature up.
5) Using a small wooden dowel, heat the chips until pliable and roll the chips around the dowel and then pull them off. Cool, set aside.
6) For the pineapple sauce: Using fresh Pineapple, peel 2 pineapples, cut them up and remove the core. Place it into the blender and puree until smooth. Strain the puree through a chinois. Mix the sugar, pectin and salt. In a pan combine the puree with the sugar and pectin and add the vanilla.
7) Cook on medium heat until thick, approximately 3 minutes after it comes to a simmer. Strain the sauce and put into a bain marie to cool completely. Place in a squeeze bottle.
8) For the white chocolate spray: Heat the cocoa butter until melted in the microwave. Heat the white chocolate separately in the microwave until melted. Now that the 2 are melted, burmix them together and mix in the vanilla and salt. Strain through a chinois. Keep in a warm place until ready to spray your cake.
For the hickory nut sugar spears and fondant sugar work:
1) Place the glucose and fondant together in a small pan, and cook until pale golden. Pour it into a small glass bowl. Allow to cool but not set up.
2) While cooling pierce 6 hickory nuts with toothpicks. Place a piece of masking tape up on the edge of a table or the edge of a shelf. Dip the nut into the sugar and stick the toothpick into the masking tape so that it can hang and the sugar drips and it cools. Cut it however long you want your spear.
To assemble the cake:
1) Now that the cake is frozen, cut out pieces of cake using a 15-cm cake ring. With large cookie cutters cut out 2 more circles that are 10-cm in diameter. Place the cake ring on a cardboard that is the same size. Line the ring with a piece of acetate. Place the largest piece of cake on the bottom.
2) Paddle the cheese ice cream in a kitchen aid bowl to soften it. Place it into a piping bag and pipe around the base of the cake and all the way up the sides of the ring. Just so the sides of the ring are covered with ice cream. Allow it to chill 5 minutes.
3) Paddle the carrot ice cream the same way, and place it into a piping bag.
4) Pipe a layer of ice cream over the cake. Place it into the freezer 10 minutes.
5) Place another layer of cake, and repeat with ice cream. Place it into the freezer for 10 minutes.
6) Pipe a thin layer of pineapple sauce over the ice cream. Allow to freeze for 10 minutes.
7) Pipe a layer of cheese ice cream over the sauce. Freeze for 10 minutes.
8) Place the last cake over, and pipe the cheese ice cream on the top to finish. With an off-set long metal spatula, smooth out the top. Allow the cake to freeze for at least 1 hour.
9) Once frozen, pull out the cake, remove the ring and the acetate. Smooth out the sides.
10) Prepare to spray the cake with the white chocolate spray.
11) Once the cake is sprayed, place it into the freezer while tempering chocolate.
12) Temper chocolate and spread onto transfer sheet, cut as desired. Place the tempered chocolate on the outside of the cake, adhering it by using honey. Garnish the top with pineapple sauce and hickory nut spears. Serve with pineapple sauce.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tofu Skewers With Walnut Pesto
Italian Burger with Caramelised Onions
Full English Breakfast Bowl Rolls
Individual Sticky Toffee Puddings
Victoria Sponge Cake
Black Pudding Scotch Eggs
Meatball Scone Sandwiches
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Sweet and Sour Pork Sliders
Slaughter's Summer Fruit Tarts
Brioche Tea Sandwiches
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Basil, Ricotta, Walnut and Parma Ham Cocktail Quiches
Candy Cane Cookies
Mini Christmas Cakes with Soft Silver Pearls
Mini Christmas Cakes
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.