Chicken gravy and meatballs with multigrain spaghetti
- Preparation Time40 mins
- Cooking Time45 mins
For the chicken meatballs
For the chicken gravy
For the spaghetti
2) Loosely shape the chicken mixture into meatballs no bigger than the inside palm of your hand. Should yield about 12 (4cm in diameter) meatballs.
3) Heat the olive oil in large nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Sear all sides of meatballs in hot oil until golden brown and a little firm to the touch.
4) Gently remove meatballs from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a flat dish lined with paper towels. Cover with cling film while preparing the chicken gravy.
1) Remove the frying pan from the stove, scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon and pour the scrapings and remaining oil into a large nonstick pan (at least 5.5L in size).
2) Add 60ml of olive oil and heat over a medium heat. Saute the rosemary for about 5 minutes then remove from the oil and discard. Add the garlic and saute about 3 minutes, until aromatic and golden brown.
3) Add the red onion, sweet onion and shallot and saute for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add the tomato puree and saute for about 5 minutes, blending with onions and garlic using wooden spoon.
4) Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and oregano. Add the chicken meatballs and bring the gravy to a low boil. Lower the heat to very low, cover the pan and cook the gravy for 45 minutes, stirring at least every 15 minutes so gravy does not burn the bottom of the pan.
5) Uncover pan and add the white wine, sage, nutmeg and 1 tbsp olive oil. Stir and simmer on a low heat, uncovered, for another 35 minutes, stirring at least every 15 minutes. The gravy should thicken and become a deep red colour.
6) Stir in the cheese and 1 tbsp olive oil and leave to cook while you prepare the pasta.
1) Prepare the spaghetti according to the package directions.
2) Spoon gravy on a large serving platter, top with cooked spaghetti dotted with chicken meatballs.
3) Cover with gravy. Sprinkle with grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve with extra gravy on the side, crusty Italian whole-wheat bread, and a salad with Italian dressing.
Other recipes with chicken
Tom Aiken's Gravy
15-Minute Asian Rice Salad
Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto
Asparagus and Bread Soup with Pancetta
Pineapple, Prawn and Okra Salad
Grilled Chickpea Polenta Cakes with Chive Oil and Lemon
Paella on the Grill
Chicken Wings with Red Hot Honey Glaze and Blue Cheese-Celery Dip
Chicken Kabobs with Grilled Onions
Grilled Tuscan Chicken
Crisp Chicken Wings with Chilli-Lime Butter
The Ultimate Barbecued Chicken
BBQ Chicken Burgers with Slaw
Yakitori (chicken on skewers) by ROKU
Spicy Cajun Chicken Quinoa
Chicken Club Ranch Roll
Coronation Turkey Filled Jackets
Turkey and Creamy Stilton Pies
Roasted Turkey Gravy
Christmassy, Luxurious Chicken Liver Toasts
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.