Chicken Masala Curry
- Cooking Time45 mins
First, make your Masala Paste
1. Marinate the chicken in the yoghurt, lemon, red chilli powder and turmeric. Leave in a bowl in the fridge to marinate overnight.
2. Add the oil to a frying pan on medium heat.
3. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add the masala paste – 1 tbsp for mild, 2 tbsp for medium and 3 tbsp for a hotter curry.
5. Continue frying for 2 minutes.
6. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook until the oil starts to separate and moves away from the onions, and has a roux-like consistency.
7. Add the chicken marinade and coat thoroughly in the masala.
8. Add the 1/4 pint of water (more if preferred).
9. Reduce to simmer and put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes.
10. Remove the lid; add the strips of red and green peppers.
11. Put the lid back on for 2 minutes.
12. Switch off the gas, remove the lid and add a handful of fresh chopped coriander, and Garam Masala.
Recipe courtesy of: Anjula Devi