Chilli chocolate cupcakes
If you like your cupcakes with a little bite, these should hit the spot.
- Preparation Time35 mins
- Cooking Time18 mins
For the dark chocolate ganache
2) Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, pudding mix, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, chilli powder, cayenne and salt in a medium bowl. Combine the milk, eggs, oil and vanilla essence in a 5.5L mixer using a paddle attachment on first speed. Add the sour cream and mayonnaise. Add the dry ingredients, 1 scoop at a time, allowing each scoop to be incorporated before adding the next.
3) Once all the dry ingredients are incorporated, stop the mixer and scrape down sides and bottom. Turn the mixer up to second speed and mix well then turn the mixer off. Add the chocolate chips and fold in by hand.
4) Fill the paper cake cases using a 40g scoop. Bake for 15 minutes – insert a skewer into the cake, if it comes out clean they are ready to be removed from the oven. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
To decorate the cupcakes:
1) Place a large star tip on a large piping bag. Fill with dark chocolate ganache and generously pipe a swirl on each cupcake. Mix equal parts gold dust with vodka to make an edible gold paint. Using a small round brush, paint the edges of the ganache with the edible gold paint.
2) Garnish by placing 1 large and 5 small sugar diamonds on top of each cupcake. Sprinkle with edible gold glitter.
For the dark chocolate ganache:
1) Make your own double boiler by half filling a pan with hot water. Let the water come to a boil and place a metal bowl over the top, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Put the chocolate in the bowl and stir to melt. When the chocolate is melted completely, remove from the heat.
2) Scald the cream in a pan over a medium heat. Pour the heated cream over the melted chocolate and slowly incorporate; the chocolate will appear glassy. Add the butter, in pieces, to the chocolate. Mix until all the butter has melted. Leave to set for 1 to 2 hours. The ganache is ready when it is a pipe-able consistency.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.