Chocolate chip cannoli cupcakes
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the vanilla cupcakes
For the chocolate chip cannoli cream
For the topping
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line the cups of standard-size cupcake tins with 24 paper cases.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until light in colour and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the oil and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Add the sour cream and mix until just incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until just blended.
3) Fill the cupcake cases three-quarters full with batter and bake until cooked through and golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
For the filling and topping:
1) To make the chocolate chip cannoli cream, in a mixing bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the ricotta, icing sugar and vanilla on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside until ready to use.
2) To make the fresh whipped cream, beat the cream and sugar together in a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment until the cream stands in soft peaks.
3) Using a small knife, cut on an angle directly into top of the vanilla cupcake in a circular pattern, staying within the perimeter of the top, removing the inside of the cupcake in one piece. Using a spoon or small scoop, fill the inside of the cupcake with chocolate chip cannoli cream. Place the top of the cupcake back on, putting a little pressure so that the top is pressed into the cream, holding it in place.
4) Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and garnish with chocolate chips.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.