Chocolate-glazed fairy cakes
Simple individual cakes with an easy chocolate coating.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
For the fairy cakes
For the chocolate glaze
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line the cups of a cake pan with paper cases.
2) Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
3) In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. While beating, gradually pour in the butter and then the vanilla.
4) While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly between the cases in the prepared tin.
5) Bake until a tester inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool the cakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on the rack.
For the chocolate glaze:
1) Put the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream, water and golden syrup to a simmer.
2) Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and shake the bowl gently so the cream settles around the chocolate. Set the mixture aside for about 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth, taking care not to incorporate too many air bubbles.
To decorate the cakes:
1) Slice a small layer off the top of the domed side of each cupcake to make a flat surface. Peel the paper cases off and place cakes upside down on a rack
2) While still warm and loose, pour a thin layer of glaze (about 60–120ml per cake) over each cake. If desired, set the cakes aside for about one hour before serving; if pressed for time, slip the cakes into the freezer to set.
2) Decorate the mini cakes with fresh berries or candies. If using candies to decorate, press into still slightly wet glaze before it sets.
Copyright 2007 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved