Chocolate Strawberry Cake
Take chocolate-covered strawberries to a whole new level this Valentine's Day.
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time60 mins
Nonstick cooking spray
150g all-purpose flour
150g unsweetened cocoa powder
150g granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
120g sour cream
120ml vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries (about 4 cups), hulled and thinly sliced, plus 5 whole strawberries, for decorating
30g semisweet chocolate, chopped
30g white chocolate, chopped
Store-bought whipped cream, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, oil, vanilla and 1/2 cup hot water and whisk until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Scatter the sliced strawberries on top and gently press them into the batter.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a wire rack. Flip the cake back over and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Once the cake has cooled, put the semisweet chocolate and the white chocolate in separate small microwave-safe bowls. Microwave the semisweet chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring well with a rubber spatula between each, until completely melted and smooth, about 1 minute. Drizzle the cake with the melted chocolate. Repeat the melting and drizzling process with the white chocolate.
- Garnish the top edge of the cake with the whipped cream. Cut the remaining 5 whole strawberries in half lengthwise and place the pieces cut-side down around the edge of the cake.