Cinnamon Swirl Sour Cream, Strawberry and Bacon Breakfast Cupcake
- Preparation Time45 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the cupcakes
For the maple cream cheese frosting
For the maple glazed turkey bacon
1) Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Line a mini cupcake or muffin tin with 24 mini cupcake liners or a regular-size cupcake or muffin tin with 9 cupcake liners.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt into a medium-size bowl. Set the bowl aside.
3) In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then add the vanilla and one egg at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed, and add the flour mixture and sour cream, alternating between the 2, beginning and ending with the flour.
4) Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together in a small bowl and fold by hand into the batter. Do not fully mix into the batter, it should be swirled in.
5) Fill 24 mini cupcake liners 1/2-full with batter and bake for 30 minutes or fill 9 regular-size cupcakes 3/4-full with batter and bake for 32 minutes, or until golden and baked through. Cool the cupcakes completely.
For the maple cream cheese icing:
1) Whip the cream cheese and maple butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until fully incorporated. Fold in, by hand, the jam and fresh strawberries. Put the frosting into a pastry bag and cut 1 1/4 cm off the tip.
For the maple-glazed turkey bacon:
1) Cook the bacon on the stove top in 2 nonstick skillets coated with olive oil spray, over medium heat, turning once, making sure the bacon is fully cooked. Turn the heat down and divide the maple syrup between the 2 skillets, drizzle the syrup over the bacon. Continue to cook, turning the bacon often, watching closely that the syrup does not burn. You want the bacon to be coated with the syrup and caramelized, but not soggy. Let cool.
1) Generously frost the top of each cupcake with the maple cream cheese mixture. Chop the maple-glazed turkey bacon into a fine dice and divide evenly among the cupcakes, sprinkle over the icing. Sprinkle the maple sugar on top of the bacon to resemble "sand".