- Preparation Time2910 mins
- Cooking Time280 mins
For the cod cakes
For the tartar sauce
2) Tie the parsley, thyme and bay together with kitchen string. Put the bundle in a soup pot along with the onion and milk. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat; add the cod and poach for 15 mins or until the fish just flakes. Drain and cool. Discard the milk, herb bundle and onion.
3) Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet, and saute the shallots over medium-low heat, until golden, about 10 mins. Add the garlic and cook 1 min more. Set aside to cool slightly.
4) Flake the cod into a medium bowl with your fingers, discarding any bones or skin. Mix the fish with the shallot mixture, chives, parsley, tarragon, cream, 75g of the breadcrumbs, egg and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and pulse several times, until the mixture is combined but not pureed. Form the mixture into 8 disks, and refrigerate for at least 4 hrs.
5) When ready to serve dredge the cakes in the remaining crumbs. Heat a large skillet filled about a 0.5cm deep with oil medium heat. Saute the cakes until golden for about 3 to 4 mins per side. Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
For the tartar sauce:
1) In a small mixing bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, cornichons, parsley, tarragon, capers, spring onion, lemon zest, juice, and the hot sauce, if using.
2) Refrigerate for 30 mins for the flavours to come together. Serve.