Cookie and pecan bars
- Preparation Time12 mins
- Cooking Time5 mins
2) Place a piece of parchment inside an 20 by 20cm baking dish. Parchment should hang over the edges all around. (Alternatively, you can butter the dish on all sides.)
3) Place a large saucepan or deep skillet on low heat, melt 225g of butter then add in the brown sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer. Stir to make sure the sugar is melted and cook for 1 more min.
4) Add the butter mixture to the cookies, pecans, raisins and cherries. Stir until combined. Pour the warm mixture into the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a large spoon.
5) Place a medium saucepan of water, about 450ml, onto a medium heat. Then place a heat-proof bowl over it to create a double boiler. Add the chocolate chips to the bowl. Allow the chocolate to sit for 1 min over the heat. When it starts to melt, stir until completely melted. Pour the melted chocolate over top of the pecan mixture. Spread out evenly. Place the mixture into the refrigerator for about 1 hr or into the freezer for 10 mins to set the chocolate.
6) Once set, tip out onto a cutting board, peel off the parchment and with a sharp knife cut the slab into small squares and serve.