Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time180 mins
For the corned beef and cabbage:
1) Place the corned beef, pepper, allspice, bay leaves and salt into a large 8L pot along with 3L of water. Cover and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat to low and cook, at a low simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
2) After 2 1/2 hours add the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. Return to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes and cabbage are tender. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately.
For the corned beef:
1) Place the water into a large 6 to 8L stockpot along with salt, sugar, saltpeter, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, juniper berries, bay leaves and ginger. Cook over high heat until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the ice. Stir until the ice has melted. If necessary, place the brine into the refrigerator until it reaches a temperature of 7C. Once it has cooled, place the brisket in a 2L zip top bag and add the brine. Seal and lay flat inside a container, cover and place in the refrigerator for 10 days. Check daily to make sure the beef is completely submerged and stir the brine.
2) After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water. Place the brisket into a pot just large enough to hold the meat, add the onion, carrot and celery and cover with water by 2.5-cm. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
3) Remove from the pot and thinly slice across the grain.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: approximately 3 hours
Inactive Prep Time: 10 days