Cranberry and Orange Scones
Whip up these fruity scones from Ina Garten using storecupboard ingredients.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
2) Combine the eggs and double cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy! Combine the dried cranberries and 35g of flour, add to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.
3) Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 1.5cm thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn't stick.
4) Flour a 7.5cm round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough. Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Collect the scraps neatly, roll them out, and cut more circles. At this point you can transfer to a freezer-safe container to cook from frozen later. Please note, cooking times will increase when cooking from frozen and you may need to lower your oven temperature slightly.
5) Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash, sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar, and bake for 20 to 25 mins, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch.
6) Allow the scones to cool for 15 mins and then whisk together the icing sugar and orange juice, and drizzle over the top.