Crispy Roast Pork Belly with Salty Caramelised Apples
Crispy pork belly with delicious, soft and tender meat.
- Preparation Time10 mins
- Cooking Time120 mins
For the Salty Caramelized Apple Slices:
For the Apple Honey Soy Sauce:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Score the rind covering the pork, either into strips or a diamond pattern. Or better still get your butcher to do it for you. Make sure you don't cut into the flesh.
3. Salt the rind lightly and let it stand for 25 minutes, the salt will release moisture in the skin, giving a crispy crunchy cracking, dab the moisture off rind with paper towel.
4. Now season the underside of the pork belly with salt, pepper and cumin. Rub it in well into all the nooks and crannies.
5. Rub the rind with a little oil and a light sprinkling of salt. Don’t put and spices on the rid because they will burn.
6. Place the meat in a preheated oven at 200°C and roast for 20 minutes.
7. Turn the heat down 180°C and cook for about 1¼ hours or till the meat is soft and succulent. (Approximately 50 minutes per 1kg)
8. Remove the pork from the oven, and if the cracking is not bubbling, blistered and crisp remove it with a little little fat attached in one layer.
9. Return to the oven and roast till it is crispy. Keep the meat covered with foil to rest and keep the heat in.
For the Apple Honey Soy Sauce:
1. Drain the fat and keep the pan juices to make the sauce by deglazing with 1/2 cup of water.
2. Heat the oil in a sauce-pan and gently fry the ginger, garlic and star anise for a minute or so, keep stirring as it cooks so that it doesn't burn.
3. Add the zest and apple juice, the honey and soy and sweet chilli sauce, the deglazed pan juices and the vinegar.
4. Cook this down gently to a runny glaze, stir in the coriander and remove from the heat.
5. Taste the sauce, adjust the seasoning and add more soy sauce if you wish.
For the Caramelised Apple Slices:
1. Trim the top and base of each apple. Slice each apple in half horizontally.
2. Heat the butter in a large heavy based frying pan.
3. Add the apples and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Shake the pan gently and let the sugar melt.
5. Cook the apples gently till they are golden on one side, turn and cook for 1 minute.
6. Sprinkle with maldon salt and remove from the heat.
For plating: Carve the pork into thin slices. Lay on a platter. Spoon over the sauce. Serve with salty caramelised apples, steamed green beans and roasted new potatoes.
Tip: Chill the pork belly before scoring the skin. It is easier to cut when it's cold. Always use a sharp knife. Always rest your meat before carving it, because the heat causes the meat fibres to tense. Resting allows the juices to redistribute themselves as the fibres relax.
Other recipes with pork
25-Minute Grilled Pork Chops with Succotash
Anna Olson's Gyoza
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Pork chops stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach
Real Meatballs and Spaghetti
Kuay Tiaw Pad Thai
Chicken and Pork Souvlaki
Roasted Pheasant (Pheasant Alla Fiorentina)
Pancetta-Wrapped Pork Roast
Pork and Prawn Boiled Wontons
Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
Witch's Ribs with Halloween Toasts
Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
Pulled Pork and Chilli Burritos
Slow-Roasted Pulled Pork and Creamed Beans
Black Bean Soup with Mojo
Slow Cooker Pepper Pork Chops
Slow-Cooker Swedish Meatballs
Shredded Pork Tacos
Thai Pork and Noodle Salad
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Delivery: All-Star Noodles
Three all-star chefs compete in a home kitchen noodle competition. Each chef flips a coin to determine whether they use high or low-priced items.
Mary boards one of the Royal Navy’s mightiest warships, the HMS Defender. As the crew take part in a war training exercise, Mary helps out the hard-working kitchen team.
Mary explores the bustling food markets in Marrakech, Morocco. Back in the kitchen, she prepares lamb tagine, a spicy carrot hummus and a fresh summer salad.
Guy and Hunter Fieri turn three GGG judges into competitors in their own kitchens. Each chef receives the ingredients to make a lumberjack breakfast.
Mary is in Dorset to attend her first-ever music festival! She explores the variety of food stalls on offer and later rocks out on stage with singer Rick Astley.
Mary begins her culinary adventure in Rome, where she witnesses some speedy pasta makers in action. Plus, she meets a daring chef who has reinvented the traditional pizza.
Brooklyn, New York
Casey Webb’s quest takes him to Brooklyn for a barbeque and deli feast. Plus, he samples an Italian seafood staple and takes on a spicy shrimp challenge.
Newark, New Jersey
Casey Webb heads to go home state, New Jersey! He samples an iconic Italian hot dog, a Portuguese pork sandwich and takes part in a taco challenge.
Delivery: DDD OGs
Guy and Hunter Fieri send out a big box of groceries to three diner chefs. They must make a classic takeaway dish using an unusual kitchen gadget.
The Northern Plains
The seven bakers put their own spin on South Dakota’s kuchen. Then for the bake-off challenge they make a new dessert with Minnesota’s scotcheroo ingredients.
From Europe To Asia
Guy finds righteous ramen in Millcreek, Utah, artichoke parmesan soup in Grand Junction, Colorado, and stuffed cabbage and schnitzel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Delivery: One Box Only
Guy and Hunter send only one box of groceries to three winning chefs. They must use the same 15 items in both a hot lunch and Sunday supper.
Delivery: All-Star Holiday
Guy and Hunter recruit three all-star chefs to play holiday games in their home kitchens. The chefs must cook up two different seasonal dishes.
Delivery: All-Star Hanukkah
Guy and his son, Hunter send ingredients and food challenges for a Hanukkah competition at home. They must turn eight leftover items into a meal.
Classic And Comfort
Guy Fieri's comfort-filled joy ride takes him to Draper, Utah, for fried chicken and grits and then heads to Nashville for vegan chorizo.
Tacos, Tots And Chops
Guy Fieri's enjoying a real deal Reuben in Grand Junction, Colorado, next-level tacos in Salt Lake City and Middle Eastern specialties in Nashville.
Delivery: Double Trouble
Guy Fieri and his son, Hunter send three all-star chefs two boxes of groceries and challenge them to reinvent classic food duos!
Inspired by a visit to the Caledonian Forest in Scotland, Mary makes some hearty meals. She shares her recipes for a warming hotpot and a tasty puff pastry tart.
Mary begins her culinary exploration of Yorkshire by sampling some classic dishes in the ancient seaport of Whitby. Later, she visits a world-renowned smokehouse.