Crispy Roast Pork Belly with Salty Caramelised Apples
Crispy pork belly with delicious, soft and tender meat.
- Preparation Time10 mins
- Cooking Time120 mins
For the Salty Caramelized Apple Slices:
For the Apple Honey Soy Sauce:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Score the rind covering the pork, either into strips or a diamond pattern. Or better still get your butcher to do it for you. Make sure you don't cut into the flesh.
3. Salt the rind lightly and let it stand for 25 minutes, the salt will release moisture in the skin, giving a crispy crunchy cracking, dab the moisture off rind with paper towel.
4. Now season the underside of the pork belly with salt, pepper and cumin. Rub it in well into all the nooks and crannies.
5. Rub the rind with a little oil and a light sprinkling of salt. Don’t put and spices on the rid because they will burn.
6. Place the meat in a preheated oven at 200°C and roast for 20 minutes.
7. Turn the heat down 180°C and cook for about 1¼ hours or till the meat is soft and succulent. (Approximately 50 minutes per 1kg)
8. Remove the pork from the oven, and if the cracking is not bubbling, blistered and crisp remove it with a little little fat attached in one layer.
9. Return to the oven and roast till it is crispy. Keep the meat covered with foil to rest and keep the heat in.
For the Apple Honey Soy Sauce:
1. Drain the fat and keep the pan juices to make the sauce by deglazing with 1/2 cup of water.
2. Heat the oil in a sauce-pan and gently fry the ginger, garlic and star anise for a minute or so, keep stirring as it cooks so that it doesn't burn.
3. Add the zest and apple juice, the honey and soy and sweet chilli sauce, the deglazed pan juices and the vinegar.
4. Cook this down gently to a runny glaze, stir in the coriander and remove from the heat.
5. Taste the sauce, adjust the seasoning and add more soy sauce if you wish.
For the Caramelised Apple Slices:
1. Trim the top and base of each apple. Slice each apple in half horizontally.
2. Heat the butter in a large heavy based frying pan.
3. Add the apples and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Shake the pan gently and let the sugar melt.
5. Cook the apples gently till they are golden on one side, turn and cook for 1 minute.
6. Sprinkle with maldon salt and remove from the heat.
For plating: Carve the pork into thin slices. Lay on a platter. Spoon over the sauce. Serve with salty caramelised apples, steamed green beans and roasted new potatoes.
Tip: Chill the pork belly before scoring the skin. It is easier to cut when it's cold. Always use a sharp knife. Always rest your meat before carving it, because the heat causes the meat fibres to tense. Resting allows the juices to redistribute themselves as the fibres relax.
Other recipes with pork
Anna Olson's Gyoza
Roasted Pheasant (Pheasant Alla Fiorentina)
Pancetta-Wrapped Pork Roast
Pork and Prawn Boiled Wontons
Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
Witch's Ribs with Halloween Toasts
Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
Pulled Pork and Chilli Burritos
Slow-Roasted Pulled Pork and Creamed Beans
Black Bean Soup with Mojo
Slow Cooker Pepper Pork Chops
Slow-Cooker Swedish Meatballs
Shredded Pork Tacos
Thai Pork and Noodle Salad
Black Pudding and Pear Pies
Roast loin of pork with fennel
Fontina and Prosciutto Stuffed Pork Chops with Grilled Polenta Squares and Roasted California Grapes
Cheese Burst Lasagne
Sweet Sticky Ribs
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown
Teams tackle themed gingerbread build challenges for a prize worth $10,000.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Gordon Ramsay shares his top recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Beasts And Bourbon
Four chefs are challenged to make a meal using high rye bourbon and bison ribeye. Later, they must create a dessert featuring chunky blue cheese dressing.
Guy Fieri brings together four all-star chefs to test their burger-making prowess. In one round, they must make an over-the-top burger and fries combo.
GGG Winning Teams
Winning teams from previous competitions are back for another culinary battle. In one game, they must shop without carts for their surf and turf ingredients.
GGG Winners And Their Dads
Four winners are joined by their fathers to take on Guy’s culinary challenges. The team who emerges victorious will win a prize worth up to $20,000.
Big Budget Bonanza
Four chefs take on Guy Fieri’s brutal budget bonanza. In one round, a wheel determines what ingredients the chefs can use for their breakfast creations.
Five-Dollar Price Check
Guy Fieri challenges four talented chefs to only shop for ingredients under $5. The most budget-savvy chef will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Allegra is in Antalya to sample a traditional Turkish breakfast, before exploring one the city’s largest markets. Later, she cooks prawns Halicarnassus.
Allegra continues her culinary adventure in Aydin, where she meets one of Turkey’s largest olive oil producers. Plus, she shares her recipe for poached quince.
Here To Persevere!
Host Ted Allen challenges four chefs to make an appetiser using cocktail fruit slices, canned clam sauce and sausage-stuffed pancakes on sticks.
Grandma Grocery Games
Guy Fieri welcomes four grandmothers to show off their culinary skills. In one round, they must cook their most requested family dish.
All ABC Games
Guy Fieri invites chefs to compete in three rounds featuring seafood and fried ingredients. The winner will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
All-Stars' Full Meal
Celebrity chefs take on three-course meal challenges. In one round, the chefs must include a special ingredient of Guy's choosing in their international dish.
Guy Fieri welcomes three couples to take on his culinary games. In one round, the loved-up duos must work against the clock to make a wedding dinner.
Pro Athletes And Judges
Guy invites three professional athletes to test their culinary skills. In one round, the sporting stars must shop for their ingredients while blindfolded.
Allegra travels to the Aegean coast and explores the diet of Turkey’s past. Back at home, she feels inspired to make a tasty artichoke and sausage salad.
Allegra heads to the vibrant city of Bursa and explores the morning food markets. Later, she learns from the grandson of the man who invented the doner kebab.
Three teams of chefs represent their restaurants as they compete in two action-packed rounds. The winning team will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to get creative and assemble tasty sandwiches. The chef who has the most skill between two slices of bread will win up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri gives four home cooks a chance to prove their culinary skills. The rookie who best rises to the challenge will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.