Nutmeg and cinnamon cookies spread with sweet cherry jam.
- Preparation Time40 mins
- Cooking Time45 mins
For the base
For the topping
For the base:
1) Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
2) Meanwhile, grease the bottom of a 23 by 32-cm baking tray and line with greaseproof paper.
3) When the walnuts are cool, transfer them to a food processor, add the sugar and mix for about 2 minutes, until the mixture is fine and powdery. Add the flour, spices, and salt and continue to mix until all the ingredients are evenly combined. Add the butter, egg yolks, and brandy and mix to a dough. On a lightly floured board, knead the dough to form a thick log about 20-cm long.
4) Cut the log across into 12 equal pieces. (If the dough is very sticky, refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until it is easier to work with). Lay 8 pieces of the dough on the bottom of the baking tray. Spread the pieces out and press together with your fingertips to cover the baking tray evenly.
For the topping:
1) Stir the cherry jam, lemon zest and juice together in a bowl.
To make up:
1) Spread the jam mixture evenly over the surface of the dough with the back of a spoon.
2) Roll the remaining dough out on a well-floured board until about 1/3 cm thick. Use a small decorative cutter, such as a leaf, tree, or star, and cut the dough into 24 pieces. Evenly place the pieces on top of the jam mixture in 6 rows of 4. Alternatively cut the dough into long strips with a pizza wheel or knife, and place them on the filling in a lattice pattern; or cut the dough into ovals and lay them on the filling in a decorative pattern.
3) Brush decorative layer of dough with egg white, place in the oven and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes until the squares are golden brown.
4) Allow to cool completely in the baking tray before cutting with a serrated knife into 5-cm squares.
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tom Aiken's Gravy
Italian Roast Potatoes
Broccoli and French Beans
Celeriac Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Parsnips with Cheese and Bacon
Pearl Barley and Walnut Stuffing
Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan and Pancetta
Michel Roux's Roast Chicken with Herb Butter
Crispy Roast Pork Belly with Salty Caramelised Apples
Classic Roast Lamb
30-Minute Roasted Pork with Grapes and Couscous
25-Minute Cod with Lentils
30-Minute Spicy Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
20-Minute Crispy Pierogies with Broccoli and Sausage
30-Minute Pan-Seared Salmon with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms
15-Minute Saffron and Courgette Pasta
15-Minute Asian Rice Salad
15-Minute Meatloaf Melts
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.