Deep-fried chocolate pound cake
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the Bag Lady's favorite chocolate pound cake
For the deep-fried chocolate pound cake
For the Bag Lady's favorite chocolate pound cake:
1) Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3.
2) Grease and flour a 25cm bundt pan. Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa and set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and mix well after each addition.
3) Add flour and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hr and 45 mins or until cake is done.
4) Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 mins. Invert onto cake plate and serve.
Yield: 16 servings
For the deep-fried chocolate pound cake:
1) Mix cereal, sugar and cinnamon. Divide equally between 2 pie plates or other shallow containers. Beat eggs with water in another pie plate or shallow bowl. Cut pound cake into bite-sized square pieces. Press each square in cereal mixture and press coating into cake. Dip coated square in egg wash, then roll in second container of cereal mixture, again press coating onto cake.
2) Freeze coated cake squares on a waxed paper lined baking sheet until solid, 4 to 6 hrs. Deep-fry frozen coated cake squares for 45 secs. Sprinkle with icing sugar and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
3) Serve with whipped cream and a cherry.