Devilled Short Ribs
Short ribs are becoming a more popular cut for their full flavour.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time145 mins
For the ribs
For the coating
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
2) Lay the ribs meaty side up in a large roasting tin and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary around the ribs. Add the chicken stock and vinegar. Set the tin directly over 2 burners and bring to a simmer over a high heat.
3) Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper over the ribs and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 2 hours, until the meat is tender. Remove from the oven and set aside for about 30 minutes, to cool in the liquid.
(The dish can be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.)
For the coating:
1) Preheat the oven to 230C/Gas Mark 8.
2) Whisk the mustard with the honey, water, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
3) Crumb the bread into coarse breadcrumbs in a food processor, add the garlic, parsley, olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Mix briefly to combine and then transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl.
1) Remove the ribs from the braising liquid (reserving the liquid for other uses as required) and pat dry. Brush the meaty side of each rib with some of the mustard mixture, then dip it into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
2) Arrange the ribs on a baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the breadcrumbs are brown and crisp.
3) The ribs can either be served hot or at room temperature.