Dragon's Breath Chilli con Carne
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time150 mins
For the chilli
For the double-fried chips
1) In large saucepan over a high heat, melt the butter and bacon fat. Add the pepper, jalapeno, chillies and onion and cook, for about 5 minutes, until caramelised. Add the garlic and saute for a further minute.
2) Add the braising steak and brown. Add the beef mince and sausage and brown, stirring gently and trying not to break up the minced beef too much. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, until meat is nicely browned and cooked through.
3) Add the onion and garlic granules, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
4) Add the tomato sauce and puree and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the beer and chicken stock. Add the beans, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
5) Serve the chilli in bowls on top of double-fried chips and garnish with cheese biscuits, spring onions and grated cheese.
For the double-fried chips:
1) Peel the sides of the potatoes, leaving the ends with the skin on. Cut the potatoes into 1cm slices and then slice into 1cm sticks.
2) Fill a large bowl with water, submerge the potatoes and soak for at between 30 minutes and 24 hours. This will help to remove the excess starch from the potatoes and keep them from oxidising.
3) Heat the oil to 160C in a deep fryer. Remove the potatoes from the water and pat dry to remove the excess water.
4) Add 2 handfuls of potatoes to the hot oil. There should be at least 2.5cm of oil above the potatoes. Par cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the potatoes are light brown.
5) Sieve the potatoes, gently shaking off any excess oil, and leave to drain on a wire rack. Repeat until all of the potatoes are par cooked.
6) Raise the oil temperature to 180C. Cook the potatoes again, 2 handfuls at a time, for about 2 mins, until golden brown.
7) Remove from the oil, shake off the excess oil, and season lightly in a bowl with salt and pepper. Repeat until all potatoes are cooked.
Dragon's Breath Chilli
Other recipes with beef
15-Minute Meatloaf Melts
Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Individual Cottage Pies
Lettuce Cups with Tofu and Beef
Argentinean Steak with Parsley Sauce: Carne y Chimichurri
Korean Short Rib Tacos
Real Meatballs and Spaghetti
The Ultimate Lasagne
Individual Meat Loaves
Spicy Juicy Lucy-fer Sliders
Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
Cast Iron Fillet Steaks with Roasted Shallots
Tempura Octopus Hot Dog Bites
Chilli con Carne
Pasta with Beef Ragu and Braciole
Other recipes with steak
25-Minute Flank Steak with Charred Vidalia Onion Salad
Broiled Porterhouse with Roasted Garlic and Lemon
Blue Cheese Steak Sandwich With The Works
Slow cooked blade steak with beef & oyster sauce, carrots and turnip
Salmon and Tuna Tataki
Rump of Lamb with a Fresh Mint Sauce
Gorgonzola, Steak, Guinness and Potato Pie
Grilled Thai Curry Beef Roll
Argentinean Steak with Parsley Sauce: Carne y Chimichurri
Skirt steak with ancho-onion steak sauce
Seared Tuna with Lemon-Wasabi Dressing and Hot Mustard Wonton Chips
Grilled Thai Beef Salad
Beef Salad with Chicory, Pear and Parmigiano Reggiano
Steak on Garlic Toast with Provolone and Parsley oil
Hamburger with Cheddar Cheese and Horseradish Mustard
Smoky Pork Corn and Chickpea Fajitas
Garlic Thyme Steak with Smoked Tomato Relish
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.