Dragon's Breath Chilli con Carne
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time150 mins
For the chilli
For the double-fried chips
1) In large saucepan over a high heat, melt the butter and bacon fat. Add the pepper, jalapeno, chillies and onion and cook, for about 5 minutes, until caramelised. Add the garlic and saute for a further minute.
2) Add the braising steak and brown. Add the beef mince and sausage and brown, stirring gently and trying not to break up the minced beef too much. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, until meat is nicely browned and cooked through.
3) Add the onion and garlic granules, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
4) Add the tomato sauce and puree and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the beer and chicken stock. Add the beans, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
5) Serve the chilli in bowls on top of double-fried chips and garnish with cheese biscuits, spring onions and grated cheese.
For the double-fried chips:
1) Peel the sides of the potatoes, leaving the ends with the skin on. Cut the potatoes into 1cm slices and then slice into 1cm sticks.
2) Fill a large bowl with water, submerge the potatoes and soak for at between 30 minutes and 24 hours. This will help to remove the excess starch from the potatoes and keep them from oxidising.
3) Heat the oil to 160C in a deep fryer. Remove the potatoes from the water and pat dry to remove the excess water.
4) Add 2 handfuls of potatoes to the hot oil. There should be at least 2.5cm of oil above the potatoes. Par cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the potatoes are light brown.
5) Sieve the potatoes, gently shaking off any excess oil, and leave to drain on a wire rack. Repeat until all of the potatoes are par cooked.
6) Raise the oil temperature to 180C. Cook the potatoes again, 2 handfuls at a time, for about 2 mins, until golden brown.
7) Remove from the oil, shake off the excess oil, and season lightly in a bowl with salt and pepper. Repeat until all potatoes are cooked.