Duck and oxtail consomme
- Preparation Time40 mins
- Cooking Time405 mins
For the stock
For the raft
For the foie gras flan
For the smoked duck
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 8. Roast the duck carcasses and oxtail in one or two large roasting tins, until they have caramelised.
2) Allow to cool, chop the carcasses and oxtail into smaller pieces and transfer them to a large casserole dish.
3) Place the roasting pan over medium heat and deglaze the pan drippings with the wine, stirring to dissolve any stuck on juices.
4) Add the wine to the casserole dish. Cover the bones with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the onion, carrot, celery, leeks, parsley, thyme, juniper berries, peppercorns and foie gras scraps, if using.
5) Allow to cook and reduce for between 3 and 6 hours, skimming the fat off frequently. Remove from the heat, strain, and leave to cool.
To make the raft:
1) Grind all the raft ingredients in a food processor and whisk this mixture into the cold stock.
2) Slowly, bring this mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 1 hour. It is important to let the soup filter through the raft until it's clear. You can make a hole in the centre of the raft to ensure that the soup doesn't overheat and begin breaking the raft.
3) When the soup is clear below the raft, begin siphoning off the consomme and strain through a coffee filter. Cool the consomme immediately and refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the foie gras flan:
1) In a medium sized saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the foie gras and return to the boil.
2) Transfer to a blender and blend well, then strain through a fine chinois. Measure the mixture, rinse the blender and return the mixture to the blender.
3) Add the eggs, using 6 or 7 eggs for every litre of foie gras mixture. Add the port and sauterne and blend until the mixture is a creamy colour. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
4) Transfer to a bowl and place in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
5) Heat the oven to140C/Gas 1. Butter six 60ml aluminium ramekins.
6) Skim off the foam from the flan mixture until a shiny surface appears, pour the mixture into the buttered ramekins.
7) Place the ramekins in a roasting tin filled with hot water and cook for 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
To make the smoked duck:
1) Line a large roasting tin with aluminium foil and put the drained wood chips onto the foil. Set the pan over high heat until the wood chips smoke heavily.
2) Turn off the heat, place a cooking rack over the chips and place the duck breasts skin side down on the rack. Cover tightly with aluminium foil and leave to smoke for 25 to 30 minutes.
3) Season the duck breasts with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and place the breasts skin side down in the pan. When all the fat is rendered, remove from the pan and transfer to a plate.
1) Remove the foie gras flan from the ramekins and place in the middle of a bowl. Slice the duck breasts very thinly on the bias and arrange around the flan. Pour the hot consomme into a serving bowl.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Other recipes with duck
Honey-glazed Duck Breast with Sweet and Sour Greens
Kirill Runkov's Barbarian Cocktail
Peking Duck with Apple and Tamarind Sauce
Roasted Five-Spiced Aylesbury Duck
Pan Roasted Duck with Picota® Cherry Sauce
Confit Shoulder of Organic Lamb with Rosemary and Garlic Poached Plum Tomatoes
Pan-fried Honey Orange Duck
Spice Rubbed Grilled Duck Breast with Grilled Peach and Goat Cheese Salad
Grilled quail with lingonberry sauce
BBQ duck on corn cakes
Goat Cheese, cherry, and walnut stuffed duck breast with a champagne glaze
Duck, duck, delicious burgers
Braised chuck roast
Duck with apple sauce and mashed potatoes
Pan roasted duck breast
Roast duck with ginger and lime sauce
Duck fat potatoes
Bobby Chinn’s Spring Roll
Other recipes with carrot
Tom Aiken's Gravy
30 Minute Shepherd's Pie
Shaved Summer Vegetable Salad
Carrot, Date and Feta Salad
Edamame Veggie Burger
Chicken Summer Rolls
Sweet and Sour Couscous-Stuffed Peppers
Gorgonzola, Steak, Guinness and Potato Pie
Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash
Roasted Turkey Gravy
Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Brussels Sprouts
Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Pancetta
Molasses-Glazed Rainbow Carrots
Rainbow Fries with Grainy Mustard Aioli
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.