Five Spice Carrot Cake with Pecan Brittle
For the cake
For the frosting
For the brittle
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C in a fan oven. Grease and line an 8 inch (20 centimetre) cake tin.
2. In a bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and Chinese five spice and mix them. In another large bowl, whisk the oil, eggs and sugar together for a few minutes until well combined. Stir in the pineapple, vanilla and carrots. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in stages, folding gently, being careful not to overbeat it.
3. Fill the cake tin with the mix and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and the cake is springy to the touch.
4. For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese until just combined, don’t overbeat it or the cream cheese can curdle. Beat in the vanilla and icing sugar and whisk until thick and creamy.
5. Decorate the top and sides of the cake with the mix. For the pecan brittle, heat the sugar in a frying pan until it reaches a medium amber stage. Remove it from the heat and add the pecans and five spice, stir carefully and tip it out onto baking parchment.
6. Once set break the brittle and use it to decorate the cake.
Recipe courtesy of Stacie Stewart