Ginger tea cake
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time55 mins
2) Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk the pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla in another bowl.
3) Beat the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 1 min, until smooth. Add the light brown sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 4 mins more.
4) Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the pumpkin mixture in 2 parts, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix briefly at medium-low speed to make a smooth batter.
5) Turn off the beaters and add the crystallised ginger, folding it in by hand with a spatula as the batter will be thick.
6) Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 55 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
7) Cool in the tin on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then invert the tin to release the cake onto the rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving, if you like.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.