Golden pound cake
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the cranberry citrus glaze
1) In a stand mixer fitted with the batter blade, cream the butter and the sugar for 8 minutes on medium speed, scraping down the sides often with a rubber spatula. Lower the speed to medium-low and add the eggs, 1 at a time, combining well after each addition. Add the vanilla and the orange and lemon zest.
2) Add half the flour, with the mixer off, then turn the mixer on low speed to combine. Add the buttermilk and cream and when well combined add the remaining flour. Continue to mix for an additional 3 minutes on medium-low speed.
3) Butter and flour a tube cake tin. Pour the batter into the tin, tapping the tin on the counter a few times to eliminate air bubbles, and put in a cold oven. Set the oven to 160C/Gas 3. After 45 minutes, carefully rotate the cake and continue to bake another 30 to 40 minutes.
4) Check by inserting a wooden skewer into the centre and when it comes out dry, remove the tin from the oven. The cake will fall a bit, but let it rest for 30 minutes. Run a sharp, thin knife around the edges of the tin and let rest for 10 minutes more.
5) Invert the cake onto a greaseproof paper-lined cooling rack. Put a piece of greaseproof paper on top of the cake and pan, then flip gently over and allow to cool to room temperature. Dust with the icing sugar, then slice and serve with cranberry citrus glaze.
For the cranberry citrus glaze:
1) In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add the cranberries and water. Cook until the cranberries start to pop, about 3 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat to low.
2) Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Puree with stick blender and sieve into a serving bowl. Can be made ahead. Serve or refrigerate until ready to use.