These flaky pastries are stuffed with crunchy hazelnuts and fruity apricot jam.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the dough
For the filling
For the egg wash
1) Pulse the flour, sugar and salt in food processor until combined. Add the butter and pulse about 20 times, until it resembles coarse sand with some pea-sized pieces of butter.
2) Add the cream cheese and sour cream, and pulse until it comes together in a rough dough (with some uneven pebbles sized-pieces).
3) Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Pat each portion into a flat square and wrap in cling film. Freeze dough for 15 minutes.
For the filling:
1) Chop the nuts in a clean food processor. Add the apricot jam, sultanas and salt; puree to make a very smooth paste.
1) Roll a portion of dough into a 15 ¼-cm by 35 ½-cm rectangle about ¾-cm thick. (Don't worry about slightly rough edges; these will be rolled inside of the rugalach.)
2) Spread 1/4 of the filling over the surface with a small spatula. Starting with a long side, roll the dough up into a tight cylinder ending with the seam on the bottom. Press the top slightly to flatten. Wrap in cling film and freeze for another 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. (The cylinders can be frozen for up to a month.)
1) Evenly position the racks in the oven and preheat to 190C/Gas Mark 5.
2) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
3) Slice the cylinders into 4-cm pieces, and place rugalach seam-side down on the prepared pans.
3) Whisk the egg yolks together and brush this glaze over the top of each rugalach. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for about 25 minutes until pale golden and crispy on top.
4) Remove from oven and let cool slightly on the baking sheet. Then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.
Store rugalach in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days.
Other recipes with cheese
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Garlic Butter, Fresh Lime and Cotija Cheese
Big Triple Cheese Burgers on Buttery Brioche
30 Minute Shepherd's Pie
Smoked Gouda and Leek Tart
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Asparagus Tart
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
Lamb Chops with Mint-Walnut Pesto
Lyle's® Easter Egg Cake Pops
Wild Alaska Salmon with Sun-dried Tomato
Welsh Wine, Goat's Cheese, Leek and Parma Ham Tart
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Pork chops stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach
Quinoa Salad with Apricots, Basil and Pistachios
Prosciutto-Wrapped Grilled Brie with Pineapple
Kale and Farro Salad with Aged Goat Cheese
Chocolate Guinness Cake
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
Irish Grilled Cheese
Easy Key Lime Ice Cream Meringue Cheesecake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.