Griddled mangoes with blue cheese and honey
Griddled mangoes with blue cheese and honey
- Preparation Time10 mins
- Cooking Time12 mins
For the mangoes with blue cheese and honey
For the toasted spice rub
1) Toast the fennel seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in a small, heavy pan over medium heat. When the fennel turns light brown, work quickly. Turn on the exhaust fan; add the red chilli flakes and toss, toss, toss, always under the fan. Immediately turn the spice mixture out onto a plate to cool.
2) Put spice mixture in a blender with the chilli powder, salt and cinnamon and blend until the spices are evenly ground. If you have a small spice mill or a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices, grind only the fennel, coriander, pepper and chilli flakes. Pour into a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients.
Cook's note: Toasting freshens spices, releases their oils and makes them more fragrant, as well as adding a new dimension of flavour. Keep the spice mix in a glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.
Mangoes with blue cheese and honey:
1) Have the grill on or a griddle pan heated to medium-high.
2) Peel the mangoes with a paring knife. One at a time, set each mango on its side on a cutting board and cut the flesh away from the large flat seed in the centre. Place the largest two pieces from each mango in a medium bowl (set the rest of the flesh aside for another use).
3) Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat and cook until it turns nut brown. Add the toasted spice rub and salt. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour or brush the butter mixture over the mangoes and toss well to coat them.
4) Grill or griddle the mango slices (only on the flat, cut side) over medium-high heat until nicely marked, 3-5 minutes.
5) While mangoes are cooking, cut the blue cheese into 2cm pieces. Remove the mango slices from the griddle and spread them on a baking sheet, with the griddled sides facing up. Divide the cheese on top of the mango slices.
6) Place under the grill for 30 seconds to melt the cheese (optional step). Be careful not to get the mango too hot. Arrange on a platter or individual plates.
6) In a heatproof bowl, warm the honey briefly in the microwave and drizzle over the top.
Other recipes with cheese
Grilled Salami and Cheese Bites with Spicy Honey
30 Minute Shepherd's Pie
Smoked Gouda and Leek Tart
Shaved Summer Vegetable Salad
Kids Can Make: Baked Egg-and-Harissa Tarts
Kids Can Make: A Quesadilla Bar
Creamy Chilled Tomato Soup with Black Bean-Pepper Jack Quesadillas
Twice Baked Potatoes
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Garlic Butter, Fresh Lime and Cotija Cheese
Tomato Feta Pasta Salad
Carrot, Date and Feta Salad
Big Triple Cheese Burgers on Buttery Brioche
Lemon Tiramisu Trifle
Roasted Turkey and Basil Pinwheel Sandwiches
Sweet Potato and Goat’s Cheese Samosas
Mini Mushroom, Kalonji and Feta Pies
Spinach and Feta Quiche
Strawberries and Cheese on Toast
Smoked Salmon Puffs
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Shaken, Not Stirred
Adam goes to Milwaukee to unearth some cheesy secrets in Brew City. Then, he slips into a spy-themed bar to try out their off-menu 'Spyburger'.
Harbor Hideaway and Lobster Garage
In Boston, Adam uncovers authentic Australian pies in an artful shipyard, an adults only secret steakhouse, and a lobster eatery in a garage.
Ree Drummond whips up four dishes that can't go wrong. First up, she makes chocolate sheet cake with vanilla bean frosting then delicious stuffed peppers.
County Clare And The Burren
John visits the Burren where he learns the art of making pork confit. Plus, he makes chocolate at a remote factory and cooks lobster by the Flaggy Shore.
Quick and Easy Breakfasts
Ree Drummond starts her day with quick and easy breakfasts like all-in-one mini bagel breakfast sandwiches and stacks of double chocolate chip pancakes.
New Weeknight Favorites
Ree Drummond dishes up new favourites to spice up weeknights. She puts a twist on cheeseburger sliders and makes an impressive easy tomato pie.
Grandma Knows Best
Ree Drummond celebrates the food she remembers from her grandma's house, making retro Salisbury steak, skillet scalloped potatoes, and irresistible green beans.
Dinner for Your Sweetie
Ree Drummond shares her ideas for a romantic meal for someone special. She teams herb-crusted chicken cutlets with cheesy mushroom and black pepper pasta.
Behind the Bookcase
In Austin, Adam finds a trendy hidden lounge nestled behind a bookcase in a hostel, a kitchen sink burger, and a decadent French toast breakfast sandwich.
Easy and Elegant
Ree Drummond cooks up simple and refined dishes. She makes crab cakes and 5-ingredient remoulade and peppercorn-crusted steak with pimento creamed spinach.
Kinsale And Dingle
In Cork’s Kinsale, John and Martin Shanahan make the ultimate soup from freshly caught fish, then John tastes the oldest alcoholic drink in the world.
Ree Drummond refreshes some of her favourite dishes. She makes delicious skirt steak and sweet potato fries and rustles up a Tex-Mex chicken pot pie.
Game Day Eats
Ree Drummond scores big with easy game day eats! The sumptuous menu includes pizza dip with garlic toast, hamburger potato skins and portable cookie sundaes.
Ree Drummond serves up four ranch-approved dishes that won't break the bank. They include Italian chicken meatballs and a tortilla breakfast bake.
Ree Drummond celebrates vegetable dishes sure to get rave reviews! Tomato cobbler, veggie-packed baked pasta and simple curry pumpkin soup are on the menu.
Wexford to Cork
In Cork, John goes to the legendary Ballymaloe Cookery School where he makes soda bread with the matriarch of modern Irish food, Darina Allen.
Winner's World Cup
Guy Fieri invites three chefs with previous wins to shop in Flavortown Market's brand-new international section, where all the labels are in different languages!
Guy Fieri welcomes four mothers to Flavortown Market to prove their culinary chops. To earn shopping money they must answer kids' homework questions!
Night on the Flavortown
Guy Fieri invites four new all-star chefs to Flavortown Market and gives them one hour to make a fancy three-course dinner using a mystery ingredient.