Ham Hock Croquettes with Truffled Pea Purée and Fried Quail Egg
- Cooking Time180 mins
For the Ham Hocks:
1. Boil whole ham hocks in a large pot for 2 to 3 hours or until cooked (bone comes out).
2. Remove ham from cooking liquid, leave to rest and cool in a bowl.
3. Turn up the heat of the liquid in the pot and reduce by half.
4. Once ham hocks are cool, shred with hands.
5. Add ladles of reduced liquid to bind and moisten shredded ham.
6. Place the ham in a cling film lined metal tray and cover with cling film. Place another tray on top to weight it down before refrigerating overnight to set.
7. Once ham hock is set, remove from fridge and cut into 2cm X 2cm cubes with a sharp knife.
8. Crumb the ham hocks by coating cubes in flour, whisked egg and then bread crumbs. Place on tray and refrigerate till needed.
For the Pea Purée:
1. Cook peas and place in a blender.
2. Heat chicken stock in a pot (always use hot stock for purées!)
3. Add chicken stock to the peas and blend slightly.
4. Add a drizzle of truffle oil, being careful not to overdo it as it is a strong flavour.
5. Blend again till smooth.
6. Season with salt and refrigerate till needed.
1. Heat oil for deep frying.
2. Deep fry crumbed ham hock till golden (about 4 minutes).
3. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
4. Heat pea purée and place in squeezie bottle.
5. For the quail egg, heat a teaspoon of oil in pan.
6. Remove the top of the quail egg with a small serrated knife. Pour into non-stick pan.
7. Cook for a few seconds till set and add a piece of butter. Cook until done with yolk still runny.
8. Remove from the pan and place on a piece of greased Clingfilm till needed.
1. Lightly dress your pea shoots with a touch of truffle oil and spread over the plates. Place 3 ham hock croquettes on each plate and top with a quail egg.
2. Add a squeeze of pea purée in the middle of the plate between the croquettes. Top with a quail egg and serve.
Other recipes with chicken
Tom Aiken's Gravy
15-Minute Asian Rice Salad
Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto
Asparagus and Bread Soup with Pancetta
Yakitori (chicken on skewers) by ROKU
Spinach Salad with Fried Egg, Bacon and Mushrooms
Grilled Tuscan Chicken
Rump of Lamb with a Fresh Mint Sauce
Mint Mustard Gravy
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Curried Chicken with Watercress
Asparagus and Chicken Stir-fry
Grilled Chickpea Polenta Cakes with Chive Oil and Lemon
Charred Vegetable and Couscous Salad
Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Griddled Chicken with Courgettes
Lemon Roasted Chicken Salad Wrap
Slow Roast Lamb
Chicken Kebabs with No-Cook Peach Chutney
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pancakes
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tenderstem Bubble and Squeak with Caramelised Onions, Crisp Bacon and Eggs
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Asparagus Tart
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Spanish Baked Eggs
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
Chocolate and Raspberry Tart
Chocolate Salted Caramel Marble Cake
Iced Easter Biscuits
Lyle's® Easter Egg Cake Pops
Giant Easter Egg Cookie
Welsh Wine, Goat's Cheese, Leek and Parma Ham Tart
Roasted Rhubarb and Almond Tartlets
Wholemeal Pancakes with Parma Ham, Ricotta, Rocket and Pesto
Chocolate Guinness Cake
Gingerbread Guinness Cupcakes
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.