These soft, treacly cakes are full of fruit and nuts.
- Preparation Time35 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
2) Whisk the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt together in a large bowl.
3) Beat the butter and brown sugar together in another bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the treacle and beat until smooth.
4) While mixing slowly, add the flour mixture to make a sticky batter, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the sultanas, cranberries, walnuts and ginger.
5) Divide dough into six pieces and with slightly damp hands, shape each piece into a 2 1/2cm wide log. Place two logs on each of the prepared cookie sheets, leaving plenty of space between each log, since the cookies spread considerably when baked. Brush with egg. Bake cookies, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until dark golden but still soft, about 15 mins. Cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.
6) Cut crosswise into 3 1/2cm wide bar cookies. Serve, or store hermits covered at room temperature for up to one week.