Hot times jalapeno turkey breast
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the Hot times rub
For the Hot times mop
2)To make the Rub: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Using your hands, massage the turkey with the rub, making sure to get it over and under the skin without tearing. Place the turkey in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
3) Next day prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 95-105C. Remove the turkey breast from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, cut a large piece of cheesecloth (muslin) big enough to wrap the turkey. Dampen it thoroughly with water and wrap around the breast, tieing the ends together.
5)Transfer the turkey to the smoker, skin side up, and cook for about 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 hours per kilo, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a knife. Wet the cheesecloth down with more water at 30-minute intervals, or as appropriate for the style of smoker.
6) Meanwhile make the Mop: In a small pan combine the ingredients and heat gently. Set aside.
7) After 4 hours, remove the cheesecloth from the turkey, snipping it with scissors if necessary, and discard. Baste the turkey with the mop, if possible in the smoker, every 30 minutes for the remainder of the cooking time.
8) When the turkey is cooked, remove from the smoker and allow it to sit under tented foil for at least 10 minutes before carving.