Jollof One Pot Rice
- Cooking Time70 mins
For the Tomato Sauce
1. To make the broth, heat a heavy based lidded pot on a low heat and add the chicken along with half the chopped onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, guinea peppers, scotch bonnet, nutmeg, cinnamon, crayfish powder and salt and stir well.
2. Add enough water to just cover the chicken and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Once the chicken is tender, remove from the pot and place on a baking tray and cover with foil to keep warm until you’re ready to put it in the oven.
4. Drain the fragrant broth into a jug and keep to one side to add to your rice later.
5. Next, the tomato sauce. In a blender, combine the onion, chopped tomato, tomato puree, scotch bonnet, and salt. Blend well into a smooth sauce and set aside.
6. To make the jollof rice, use the same pot you used to make the broth. Heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the remaining onion until soft. Add the chilli powder and curry power and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
7. Add some of the tomato sauce, saving aside one ladle or so to add later once the rice is in. Add the broth to the pan and stir in.
8. Wash the rice thoroughly, around three times, to remove as much starch as possible, then stir it in to the broth so that it’s evenly coated.
9. Reduce the heat and cover the pan with tin foil to keep in the steam, then replace the lid. Simmer for 30 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
10. Finally, stir in the reserved tomato sauce and take off the heat. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
11. With 15 minutes to go before the rice is done, remove the foil from the chicken and place into the hot oven for 15 minutes. Serve the rice with the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle the fresh herb garnish over the top. Serve with hot pepper sauce on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Kenwood's Around the World in 80 Plates
Other recipes with chicken
Tom Aiken's Gravy
15-Minute Asian Rice Salad
Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto
Asparagus and Bread Soup with Pancetta
Pineapple, Prawn and Okra Salad
Grilled Chickpea Polenta Cakes with Chive Oil and Lemon
Paella on the Grill
Chicken Wings with Red Hot Honey Glaze and Blue Cheese-Celery Dip
Chicken Kabobs with Grilled Onions
Grilled Tuscan Chicken
Crisp Chicken Wings with Chilli-Lime Butter
The Ultimate Barbecued Chicken
BBQ Chicken Burgers with Slaw
Yakitori (chicken on skewers) by ROKU
Spicy Cajun Chicken Quinoa
Chicken Club Ranch Roll
Coronation Turkey Filled Jackets
Turkey and Creamy Stilton Pies
Roasted Turkey Gravy
Christmassy, Luxurious Chicken Liver Toasts
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Incredibly talented cake artists and designers go above and beyond to design wildly imaginative, mind-blowing cakes for every event and occasion.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Aran Islands, Galway & Dublin
John enjoys an off-road tour on Inis Mor. Then, he meets a goat farmer who makes award-winning cheeses and forages for seaweed on the Aran shore.
Ree Drummond celebrates Spring with burrata and spring vegetable toast. Then, she makes roasted pork tenderloin with bacon jam and a cheesy crispy noodle casserole.
Ree Drummond gives everything a citrus twist, starting with sticky crispy orange shrimp and lemon pepper tenderloin pasta. Plus, she mixes up a ranch water cocktail.
4 Ways with Cheese
Things get very cheesy in Ree Drummond's ranch kitchen! She makes five-cheese pasta, fiery goat dip, and for dessert, a marvellous mascarpone berry bowl.
Shaken, Not Stirred
Adam goes to Milwaukee to unearth some cheesy secrets in Brew City. Then, he slips into a spy-themed bar to try out their off-menu 'Spyburger'.
Harbor Hideaway and Lobster Garage
In Boston, Adam uncovers authentic Australian pies in an artful shipyard, an adults only secret steakhouse, and a lobster eatery in a garage.
Ree Drummond whips up four dishes that can't go wrong. First up, she makes chocolate sheet cake with vanilla bean frosting then delicious stuffed peppers.
County Clare And The Burren
John visits the Burren where he learns the art of making pork confit. Plus, he makes chocolate at a remote factory and cooks lobster by the Flaggy Shore.
Quick and Easy Breakfasts
Ree Drummond starts her day with quick and easy breakfasts like all-in-one mini bagel breakfast sandwiches and stacks of double chocolate chip pancakes.
New Weeknight Favorites
Ree Drummond dishes up new favourites to spice up weeknights. She puts a twist on cheeseburger sliders and makes an impressive easy tomato pie.
Grandma Knows Best
Ree Drummond celebrates the food she remembers from her grandma's house, making retro Salisbury steak, skillet scalloped potatoes, and irresistible green beans.
Dinner for Your Sweetie
Ree Drummond shares her ideas for a romantic meal for someone special. She teams herb-crusted chicken cutlets with cheesy mushroom and black pepper pasta.
Behind the Bookcase
In Austin, Adam finds a trendy hidden lounge nestled behind a bookcase in a hostel, a kitchen sink burger, and a decadent French toast breakfast sandwich.
Easy and Elegant
Ree Drummond cooks up simple and refined dishes. She makes crab cakes and 5-ingredient remoulade and peppercorn-crusted steak with pimento creamed spinach.
Kinsale And Dingle
In Cork’s Kinsale, John and Martin Shanahan make the ultimate soup from freshly caught fish, then John tastes the oldest alcoholic drink in the world.
Ree Drummond refreshes some of her favourite dishes. She makes delicious skirt steak and sweet potato fries and rustles up a Tex-Mex chicken pot pie.
Game Day Eats
Ree Drummond scores big with easy game day eats! The sumptuous menu includes pizza dip with garlic toast, hamburger potato skins and portable cookie sundaes.
Ree Drummond serves up four ranch-approved dishes that won't break the bank. They include Italian chicken meatballs and a tortilla breakfast bake.
Ree Drummond celebrates vegetable dishes sure to get rave reviews! Tomato cobbler, veggie-packed baked pasta and simple curry pumpkin soup are on the menu.