LA Layer Cake
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the plain sponge cake:
For the coloured layer cake:
For the white chocolate frosting:
Begin by making the plain sponge cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and base of a deep 23cm cake tin.
2. Whisk the oil, buttermilk, vinegar, eggs, sugar and vanilla together. In a separate bowl sift in the flour and baking powder, then add to the wet mix and fold in quickly.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch. Turn the cake out and leave to cool completely.
To make the coloured cake:
1. Grease and base line one 23cm loose bottom cake tin. Heat your oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric whisk, beat until thoroughly blended. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well between each addition.
3. Add the mashed ube and ube extract and beat again until the mixture has turned a lovely shade of purple. Fold in the flour and baking powder until you have a smooth mixture, pour into the prepared tin.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
1. Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled white chocolate then gradually add the icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
2. Chill the icing for at least 1 hour or until set.
1. Take the cakes and cut each cake in half horizontally to make 4 discs. Put one coloured disc on the base of a cake stand, spread a little frosting over the top.
2. Next take a vanilla sponge disc and sit this on top of the coloured disc. Repeat with the other sponge discs alternating between the coloured and plain layers. Spread the remaining frosting all over the sides and top of the cake so it is completely covered.
3. Sprinkle the coconut over the top of the cake and press onto the sides until all the cake is completely covered in coconut.
Note: If you cant get hold of 'Ube' you could use squash or sweet pototo and add orange zest to and juice to the frosting. This will create a lovely orange layer instead of purple.
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Tenderstem Bubble and Squeak with Caramelised Onions, Crisp Bacon and Eggs
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and Asparagus Tart
Thai Red Curry Scotch Eggs
Spanish Baked Eggs
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
Chocolate and Raspberry Tart
Chocolate Salted Caramel Marble Cake
Iced Easter Biscuits
Lyle's® Easter Egg Cake Pops
Giant Easter Egg Cookie
Welsh Wine, Goat's Cheese, Leek and Parma Ham Tart
Roasted Rhubarb and Almond Tartlets
Wholemeal Pancakes with Parma Ham, Ricotta, Rocket and Pesto
Chocolate Guinness Cake
Gingerbread Guinness Cupcakes
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.