Lamb curry empanadas
- Preparation Time75 mins
- Cooking Time30 mins
For the curry oil
For the empanadas
For the dough
2) Add the raisins to the rum; set aside to marinate for 10 minutes. Add half the raisins and 1 tbsp of the curry oil to the Greek yogurt. Mix and set aside for one hour.
3) Meanwhile make the dough: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening into the flour and mix until crumbled, then mix in the water and eggs. Knead for 10 minutes, then cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out.
4) In a medium saute pan, heat the remaining three tablespoons of oil. Add the onions, jalapeno, ginger and lamb and cook until the lamb is cooked through.
5) To the lamb mixture, add all the other empanada ingredients, along with the remaining rum-soaked raisins. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
6) On a floured cutting board, roll out dough to 1/2cm and use a pastry cutter or knife to cut out 12cm diameter disks.
7) Add one tablespoon of the lamb mixture to each disk of dough. Fold the dough over and seal the edges firmly with a thumb. Repeat the process to make all the empanadas.
8) Place the empanadas on a greaseproof paper lined baking sheet and bake at 180°C / gas mark 4 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.