- Preparation Time135 mins
- Cooking Time55 mins
For the bolognese sauce
For the ricotta mixture
For the tomato sauce
For the bechamel (mornay) sauce
For the assembly
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
2) Season the shanks on both sides with salt and pepper, place in the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
3) Remove the shanks to a plate. Remove the fat from the pan. Add the pancetta to the pan and cook until golden brown. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with kitchen towels.
4) Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and lightly golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
5) Add the red wine, scrape the bottom of the pan and cook until completely reduced. Add the beef stock, diced tomatoes, thyme, rosemary and parsley and bring to a simmer. Add the shanks and one third of the pancetta back to the pan, cover and transfer to the oven. Cook until the meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 2 hours.
6) Remove the shanks to a cutting board and when cool enough to handle, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl.
7) Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl. Place 700ml of the cooking liquid into a large high-sided sauté pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the liquid is reduced to about 175ml. Add the shredded meat and the remaining cooked pancetta to the pan, along with 240ml of the tomato sauce, parsley and basil. Stir to combine and just heat through.
Combine the ricotta, eggs, parsley, basil, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavours to meld.
1) Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and red chili flakes and cook for 1 minute.
2) Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and basil.
Bechamel (mornay) sauce:
1) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and let cook for about 2 minutes.
2) Slowly whisk in 475ml of the hot milk and continue whisking until the sauce is thickened and loses its raw flavour, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk in the cheeses. If the sauce is too thick, whisk in some of the remaining milk.
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Butter the bottom and sides of a 23 by 33-cm baking dish with the butter.
2) Ladle a thin layer of the bechamel evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of pasta dough, cut to fit the inside of the pan, on top of the bechamel. Top the pasta with the ricotta mixture and spread evenly. Spread a thin layer of the bechamel over the ricotta, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan and some basil leaves. Top with another layer of pasta and spread the meat mixture evenly over the top. Ladle an even layer of bechamel over the bolognese mixture, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan and some basil leaves. Place the final layer of pasta dough over the meat mixture and ladle the bechamel over the top to completely cover the pasta. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.
3) Place the pan on a baking sheet and cover loosely with aluminium foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180C/Gas 4, remove the foil and continue baking until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 25 to 35 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
Cut into slices and top with some of the tomato sauce, more grated cheese and chopped parsley and basil.
Other recipes with beef
Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
Cast Iron Fillet Steaks with Roasted Shallots
Spicy Juicy Lucy-fer Sliders
Tempura Octopus Hot Dog Bites
Chilli con Carne
Pasta with Beef Ragu and Braciole
Slow cooker ginger-soy short ribs and green rice with lime
Slow cooker Moroccan brisket with red onions and apricot couscous
Scott's short ribs
Sumptuous Ostrich Stew
Oxtail and Watercress with Black Pudding Polenta
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Slow cooked Korean-style short rib soup
Chili con Carne
Pot Roast with Roasted Vegetables
Other recipes with pork
Anna Olson's Gyoza
Crispy Roast Pork Belly with Salty Caramelised Apples
Pork and Prawn Boiled Wontons
Smokey apple cinnamon meatloaf
Witch's Ribs with Halloween Toasts
Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
Pulled Pork and Chilli Burritos
Slow-Roasted Pulled Pork and Creamed Beans
Black Bean Soup with Mojo
Slow Cooker Pepper Pork Chops
Shredded Pork Tacos
Slow-Cooker Swedish Meatballs
Thai Pork and Noodle Salad
Black Pudding and Pear Pies
Roast loin of pork with fennel
Fontina and Prosciutto Stuffed Pork Chops with Grilled Polenta Squares and Roasted California Grapes
Cheese Burst Lasagne
Sweet Sticky Ribs
Vietnamese Beef and Pork Pho
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Haunted Gingerbread Showdown
Nine of America’s best gingerbread artists craft spooky gingerbread creations for a chance to win the ultimate Halloween treat: a top prize of $25,000!
Michel Roux’s French Country Cooking
Michel Roux Jr showcases the unique cuisine of Southern France. He sources incredible local ingre-dients, samples delicious dishes and shares his favourite recipes that are simple and easy to make.
The Hairy Bikers' Comfort Food
For the Hairy Bikers, nothing beats delicious comfort food. Si and Dave share some of their favourite feel-good recipes and reveal the fascinating stories behind iconic dishes.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Best of Takeout Ranch Style
Ree Drummond packs up portable food! She makes spicy Chuck burgers with crispy onions for her father-in-law. And, there's a blood orange Rosemary pound cake to mail to her mum.
Dull Diner Dilemma
Robert Irvine journeys to Massachusetts, into the heart of diner country, to help a mother and daughter’s establishment get back on their feet.
Dave and Si cook dishes to feed a multitude with crowd-pleasing dishes. On the menu is salmon pie with spinach and hollandaise and chocolate and cherry buns.
Best of Over To The Oven
Ree Drummond shares her sweet and savoury baking favourites. There's blueberry coffee cake, chocolate chip, bacon and caramel corn cookies, and a freezer-friendly ranch pizza pie.
Saving A Family's Legacy
Robert Irvine comes to the rescue of a Maryland seafood restaurant. The third-generation owners need Robert’s help to salvage their family legacy.
A Cut Above
The Bikers transform everyday ingredients into comforting dishes. Bananas are made into a sophisticated tarte tatin and ricotta cheese is the basis for gnudi.
Best of Family Faves Ree-Booted
Ree Drummond reboots quick and easy family favourites. There's flank steak with herb sauce and three cheese waffle hash browns, and turkey taco lettuce wraps.
Dinner In Napa
For a meal with Jeffrey Ina makes couscous and tuna salad with raspberry bars. They have dinner with Michael Chiarello who makes his great chicken with grapes.
Ina makes a surprise birthday dinner for a friend. She fills her fridge with Italian seafood salad, German chocolate cupcakes and a delicious cheeseboard.
Eat Like A Local
Ina makes tomato crostini and whipped feta for lunch and learns how to make a local recipe of buttermilk fried chicken. Then, she chooses drinks: spritz or gimlet
Ina turns classic lobster recipe into a Deconstructed Lobster Salad. Later, she learns to make the Michelin-starred Auberge du Soleil’s signature Torte Au Chocolat.
Perfect Day In East Hampton
Ina whips up raspberry muffins for breakfast. Later, she cooks with the local chef Joe Isidori before heading back to the barn for soup with Jeffrey.
Local Food Heroes
Ina, inspired by the fabulous food in the Hamptons, creates new recipes for her blog. She makes salmon and guacamole sandwiches and balsamic roasted beet salad.
Ina Garten shares her secrets for effortless entertaining with chili tortilla chips, slow roasted beef, roasted balsamic brussels sprouts and truffled mashed potatoes.
Library Inaugural Drinks
Ina makes fig and fennel caponata, an antipasto platter and mashed chickpeas and mussels to thank the team that designed and built a library at her barn.
Birthday Boat Party
Ina sets sail down the Hudson River to celebrate a friend's birthday. She brings portable food including hot smoked salmon, fresh dill sauce and carrot cake.
Surprise Italian Party
Ina is hosting a surprise dinner party with an Italian theme. She shares her dinner party knowledge and strategies, from menu planning to setting the scene.
Ina has a romantic plan for her wedding anniversary. Her menu includes crispy mustard chicken, creamy cheddar grits and chocolate peanut butter globs.
What's Cooking in Brooklyn
Ina makes a Southern-style breakfast of grits with ham and gravy at Seersucker Restaurant. Later, at Bien Cuit Bakery, she bakes perfect baguettes.