Latin Burgers with Caramelised Onion and Jalapeno Relish and Red Pepper Mayo
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
For the caramelised onion and jalapeno relish
For the red pepper mayonnaise
1) In a large bowl, mix thoroughly by hand all the minced beef, the chorizo, adobo seasoning, grated onion and breadcrumbs.
2) Form the mixture into six burgers without pressing them too much or they can become tough. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and put the burgers side-by-side in a single layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This will help the burgers hold together.
For the caramelised onion and jalapeno relish:
1) Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.
2) Add the jalapeno chillies and the brown sugar. Saute for 15 minutes or until the onion and the chillies are caramelised and soft. Set aside.
For the red pepper mayonnaise:
1) Drain the roasted red peppers and put them in a blender or food processor. Add the mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
2) Puree the mayonnaise and peppers until well combined and the mixture is smooth. This may be done up to two days ahead of time and, in fact, the flavour will be more complete with an overnight chilling.
Cooking and assembling Latin burgers:
1) Preheat an outdoor barbecue or griddle pan on the hob to medium-high heat. Cook the burgers until cooked to desired doneness. Due to the raw chorizo in the recipe, at least medium-well is recommended, about 10 minutes on each side.
2) In the last 5 minutes of cooking, top the burgers with the slices of cheese so it can melt. If your barbecue has a lid, putting it on briefly will help the cheese melt quickly and evenly.
3) Spread about 1 tbsp of the red pepper mayonnaise on both sides of the buns. Lay a burger on each bottom half and top with a couple of spoonfuls of the caramelised onion and jalapeno relish.
Cook's Note: If you make more burgers than you need, just separate the uncooked burgers with greaseproof paper and insert into a storage freezer bag for future use.