Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time95 mins
2) Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the thyme (reserving enough thyme to garnish the chicken dish), one lemon, halved, and two halves of the heads of garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
3) Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Cut two of the lemons in quarters and scatter the quarters and remaining garlic around the chicken. Lay the streaky bacon rashers over the chicken to cover.
4) Roast the chicken for one hour. Remove the bacon from the top of the chicken and set aside. Continue roasting the chicken for an additional 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh. Transfer to a platter and cover with aluminium foil while you prepare the gravy.
5) Remove all but two tbsp of the fat from the bottom of the pan. Add the wine and chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes, or until reduced by half.
6) Slice the chicken on a platter. Garnish the chicken with the bacon slices, roasted garlic, reserved thyme and one lemon, sliced. Serve with the gravy.