Messy polenta: polenta pasticciata
- Preparation Time40 mins
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the messy polenta
For the polenta
1) In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until hot but not smoking.
2) Add the veal pieces and giblets and cook until evenly browned on all sides, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3) Add the onion, carrot, celery and parsley and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and the wine and break up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Adjust the seasoning. Lower the heat to let the mixture simmer gently until the wine evaporates, about 10 minutes.
4) In the meantime, roughly chop the reconstituted mushrooms. Once the ragu has simmered for 10 minutes, add the chopped mushrooms and allow the mixture to continue simmering for another 20 minutes.
5) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
6) Slice the cooled polenta into 1cm squares. Lightly butter a 23 by 23 by 8cm glass or ceramic baking pan. Use 1/3 of the polenta to cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of squares lain side-by-side. Cover with 1/2 of the veal and mushroom ragu, then top with a layer of 1/4 of the parmesan. Begin again with another layer of polenta squares, topped with 1/2 of the chicken liver mixture, topped with 1/4 of the parmesan. Repeat from the first layer of polenta, ending with parmesan atop the chicken liver ragu. Grate some more parmesan over the top, if desired.
7) Place the prepared casserole in the oven and bake until the dish is heated through and the parmesan on top is brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
For the polenta:
1) In a large saucepan, heat water and salt until boiling. Drizzle in polenta in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until all polenta is incorporated and mixture begins to thicken.
2) Switch to a wooden spoon, pull off heat and continue to stir until thick as paste.
Other recipes with tomato
BBQ Prawns with Roast Chilli Salsa
Prosciutto Lamb Burgers
25-Minute Cheesy Sausage and Butternut Squash Casserole
30-Minute Spicy Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
25-Minute Grilled Pork Chops with Succotash
Herbed Chicken Marsala
Blue Cheese Steak Sandwich With The Works
Italian Sausage and Egg Bake
Individual Cottage Pies
Wild Alaska Salmon with Sun-dried Tomato
Broccoli Frittata with Tomato Toast and Banana Milk
Frittata with Asparagus, Tomato and Fontina
Prawns on Couscous
Pork chops stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach
Crab Cocktail Americana
Bulgur salad with spring onion vinaigrette
Corn and Pasta Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
Other recipes with mushroom
Vegetarian Tandoori Kebabs
Griddled Steak with Wild Mushrooms
30-Minute Pan-Seared Salmon with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms
15-Minute Asian Rice Salad
Herbed Chicken Marsala
Spinach Salad with Fried Egg, Bacon and Mushrooms
Vegetable Guo Tieh
Spinach and Mushroom Ravioli
Money Bags Filled with Fried Tofu in Red Curry Sauce
Aubergine Stew with Honey and Golden Sultana Polenta
Turkey, Wild Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto
Turkey Strudel with Wild Mushrooms and Chestnuts
Parmigiano Reggiano, Pumpkin and Porcini Risotto
Japanese mushroom egg noodle soup
Braised shanks with barley broth
Southeast Asian slow cooked winter vegetables
New York-Style Chopped Salad
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.