Mini masala dosa
These mini filled lentil pancakes are drizzled with spicy coconut chutney.
- Preparation Time50 mins
- Cooking Time25 mins
For the potato filling
For the coconut and coriander chutney
For the dosa batter
1) Boil the potatoes in plenty of hot, salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds. Wait for them to pop, then add the asafoetida, curry leaves, onions, chillies, turmeric and ginger. Allow to cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the salt, sugar, lemon and potatoes. Toss together and add the chopped coriander.
Coconut and coriander chutney:
1) In a large bowl, soak the coconut in the coconut milk and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, blend together all other ingredients except the yogurt using a food processor or a pestle and mortar if you're feeling energetic.
3) Mix the blended ingredients with the soaked coconut and yogurt mixture.
1) Mix together the rice, urad dal, channa dal and fenugreek seeds and wash five to six times in cold water.
2) Place them in a large bowl and cover with warm water overnight or for at least 5 to 6 hours.
3) After the soaking period, discard the soaking water, reserving about 500ml.
4) Place the soaked rice, dals and methi seeds in a blender/grinder, and blend to a thick paste. The consistency of the batter should be just so that it covers the back of a spoon. Add a little bit of the reserved soaking water to help with the blending/grinding process. Blend/grind the batter to a degree where it's grainy - this is what's going to make the dosas crispy.
5) Place the dosa batter in an extra-large bowl, and put the bowl on top of a tray to catch the batter if the fermentation becomes too aggressive. Cover loosely and ferment overnight.
6) The next day, add salt, asafoetida and bicarbonate of soda, whisk lightly. It is important to add salt at this stage and NOT before as salt retards the fermentation process.
7) Lightly grease a flat nonstick pan with a halved onion and heat on a medium flame. Pour your batter into the middle of the pan with a ladle, making concentric circles outwards to spread thinly and evenly. Cook until the top becomes dry.
8) Spread a thin layer of oil on the top side of the pancake, toss and cook for a couple of seconds on the other side.
9) Spread the pancake with Coconut and coriander chutney, fill with the potato mixture, roll and serve immediately.
Other recipes with potato
Italian Roast Potatoes
30 Minute Shepherd's Pie
30-Minute Spicy Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
15-Minute Meatloaf Melts
Slow-Cooker German Potato Salad
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Mesa Grill Potato Salad
Lighter Smoky New Potato Salad
Gorgonzola, Steak, Guinness and Potato Pie
Sausage and Mash
Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash
Sweet Potato and Goat’s Cheese Samosas
The Ultimate Turkey Gobbler Sandwich with Cranberry Mayo
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Brussels Sprouts
Spicy Dauphinoise Potatoes
Winter Vegetable Soup
Rainbow Fries with Grainy Mustard Aioli
Roasted Baby Turnips with Miso Butter and Fried Eggs
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.