Mulled Wine and Pear Sticky Ginger Cake
- Cooking Time60 mins
1. Place the pears in a saucepan and pour over the wine.
2. Add the spices and sugar and then bring slowly to the boil.
3. Simmer for 1 minute and then turn the heat off and leave to cool in the wine. Remove and then pat dry with some kitchen towel.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
5. Grease and line a 23 cm spring-form cake tin.
6. Scatter the demerara sugar over the bottom of the cake tin and then arrange the mulled pear quarters in a circular pattern on top.
7. Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest together in a medium mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon or electric whisk, until pale and fluffy.
8. Beat the eggs into the creamed mixture, one at a time. Add 1 teaspoon of flour to the mixture between each addition. This is quite a runny cake mixture so don’t worry. It might even look a bit curdled, but it’s absolutely fine.
9. Using a metal spoon, fold in the rest of the flour, the baking powder, ground ginger, ground almonds and the preserved ginger and pour the mixture over the pears in the cake tin. Spread the mixture evenly in the tin and bake for 30 minutes.
10. After 30 minutes, remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
11. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn it out onto a wire rack.
12. Serve simply with some lightly whipped cream, sweetened with a little icing sugar and flavoured with a dash or two of vanilla extract and a glass of the warm mulled wine that the pears were cooked in – it must never go to waste!
Copyright, 2014, Lotte Duncan, all rights reserved
Mulled Pear and Sticky Ginger Cake
Tom Kerridge's Barbecued Courgette Salad
Indian curry lamb skewers with mint-grilled nectarine chutney with pita
Choux Pastry Buns with Coffee and Caramelised Almonds
Grilled Chipotle Pork Tacos with Red Slaw
Tom Kerridge's BBQ Meatball and Mozzarella Sub
Yucatan Chicken Skewers with Peanut-Red Chile BBQ Sauce and Red Cabbage Slaw
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Worst Cooks In America
A batch of hopeless cooks are put through a rigorous culinary boot camp with the chance of winning an enticing cash prize at the end. Can these kitchen disasters be transformed into kitchen masters?
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Luke Nguyen's Asian Food Trail
Chef and restauranteur Luke Nguyen pushes for perfection with all his food. Explore as he traces his life and culinary career from where it all started in Sydney, moving to Saigon and onto Hong Kong.
Man Fire Food
Roger Mooking travels across the USA to visit home cooks, pitmasters, and chefs who use inventive ways to cook with fire.
Gok Wan's Easy Asian
Gok Wan mastered how to cook the food he loves from working in his family’s Chinese restaurant. He shares useful tips and tricks, interesting family stories and his favourite South East Asian recipes that are easy-to-make and full of flavour.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Seven kid cooks are challenged to make a hot dog with at least one grilled topping. The winner earns a major advantage in the elimination round.
Meat The Chefs
Hosts Camila Alves and Eddie Jackson meet eight talented kid barbecue cooks. The competition kicks off with a challenge to cook chicken and a signature side.
Taste Of Peru
If I Could Have Lunch With Anyone
Giada invites the owner of a top bakery in Paris over to enjoy a French-inspired lunch. On the menu is chicken meuniere with tomato and parsley sauce.
More For Your Money
Giada shares money-saving recipes that are full of flavour. She serves apricot and pineapple crisps, herbed flatbread and cipollini onion and fennel pot roast.
The Heat Is On
Cooking With Raffy
Giada's Book Club
Giada hosts her book club and creates a menu to match the novel. She makes scallops with quinoa, radicchio, pear and arugula salad and lemon meringue custard.
Viewer's Choice: Vegetarian
Giada creates a vegetarian menu. She makes lentil and brown rice rolls, grilled herbed tofu with avocado cream and spaghetti with brussels sprouts.
Flavours of Fall
Giada celebrates Thanksgiving with just Todd and Jade and prepares a casual menu for an intimate meal - Turkey Pot Pies, Arugula Salad and Spiced Apple-Walnut Cake.
Giada makes decadent Italian desserts. She wows with dishes including Mostaccioli, an Italian cookie, a chocolate salami and delicious apple fritters.