My big fat Greco inspired burger
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time14 mins
For the tzatziki with feta
1 small cucumber
375 natural yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp fresh dill
50g crumbled Greek feta cheese
For the grilled aubergine
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
60ml olive oil
1 large aubergine
For the burger
910g minced lamb
20g chopped fresh mint leaves
1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper
Oil, for brushing on the grill rack
6 small pita breads
90g chopped cos lettuce
Prepare an open barbecue for moderate direct-heat cooking
1) Seed and chop the cucumber. In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, dill and feta. Refrigerate and chill for 1 hour.
2) In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil until thick and well blended. Cut the aubergine into 1-cm rounds. Arrange in a baking dish; coat well with dressing. Grill aubergine until tender, about 3 minutes each side, keep warm.
3) In a large bowl blend together lamb, mint, cumin, salt and pepper, to taste. Form 6 patties.
4) Before grilling burgers, brush the grill rack with oil. Place the patties on the rack turning once, 4 minutes each side.
5) Cut pitas horizontally and lightly toast over indirect heat.
6) Assemble burgers as follows: pita bottom, lettuce, burger topped generously with tzatziki, a slice of grilled aubergine, and the top of the pita.
Other recipes with cheese
Organic Figs with Goat's Cheese Cheesecake
Grilled Corn Salad with Lime, Red Chili and Cotija
Creamy Lemon-Pepper Orzo with Grilled Chicken
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pops