Neelys maple glazed doughnuts
Sweet, sticky maple syrup is a luxurious addition to these doughnuts.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
For the doughnuts
For the maple syrup glaze
2) Whisk the eggs, yolk, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, melted butter and almond extract together in another large bowl until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and thoroughly mix together using a wooden spoon. The dough will be very sticky.
3) Dust your worktop and hands with flour. Using your hands pat out the dough to 1cm thickness. Dip a 7.5cm round cutter in flour and cut out the doughnuts. Cut out the centre of each doughnut with a 1.5cm cutter. Gather scraps and re-roll. Continue cutting out doughnuts.
4) Fry the doughnuts in hot oil, until golden brown and crisp, approximately 1 minute per side. Drain on a wire rack over a sheet tray to cool.
5) Once cool, dust with cinnamon sugar, if desired, or dip the tops of the doughnuts into the maple syrup glaze. Alternatively, a butter knife can be used to spread on the glaze.
For the maple syrup glaze:
1) In a small bowl, combine the icing sugar, maple extract and milk. Stir well. Add additional milk, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over the doughnuts.