Organic Asparagus and Hollandaise Tart
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the vinegar reduction:
For the hollandaise:
For the short crust pastry:
For the tart:
1. Before making the hollandaise, make the vinegar reduction by putting all the ingredients in a pan over a medium heat. Reduce until 50ml of liquid remains, strain and set aside.
2. Add the yolks, whole eggs and vinegar reduction to a double boiler (or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water) to make the hollandaise. Whisk until the mixture has doubled in volume then take off the heat.
3. Gradually add the cream to the egg mixture until it is thoroughly combined.
4. For the pastry, rub together the flour and butter (or mix in a food processor) until you have a sandy consistency.
5. Combine the egg, milk and salt in a jug, then add to the flour and butter. Mix to form a dough, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
6. Set the oven to 185°C/165°C fan/Gas Mark 4.
7. Roll out the pastry to a 3-5mm thickness on a lightly floured surface so that it will fit a 12 inch round fluted tin with a removable base. Make sure the pastry overhangs the edges of the tin slightly, as it will shrink in the oven.
8. Use a fork to prick the base of the tart. Line with parchment paper (or cling film) and baking beans before placing in the oven for 20 minutes to bake blind.
9. Carefully lift off the lining paper and beans before returning to the oven for a further 10 minutes. The pastry should be cooked to a light golden brown.
10. Use the beaten egg to brush over the pastry case, and use a sharp knife to carefully trim and neaten up the edges.
11. Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C/150°C fan/Gas Mark 3.
12. Peel and blanch the asparagus spears in salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and place in a bowl of iced water to refresh and stop the cooking process.
13. Fill the pastry case with the hollandaise sauce and place the asparagus on top.
14. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly set, before leaving to cool in the tin. Remove from the tin and garnish with the chives and, if using, the edible flowers.
For more inspiration and tips visit the Organic UK Facebook page.
Other recipes with egg
Choux Pastry Buns with Coffee and Caramelised Almonds
Chocolate stout and irish cream liqueur cupcakes
Sausage burger with spicy onion rings and humous
Chocolate Fondants with Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Parma Ham and Wild Mushroom Beef Wellington
Organic Figs with Goat's Cheese Cheesecake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie Oliver explores the history of British food and how British cuisine has been influenced by centuries of invasion, exploration, and immigration. He samples modern and traditional dishes and cooks up delicious meals inspired by his trip.
Kids Baking Championship
A group of talented junior bakers compete in a series of very creative challenges to win the title of Kids Baking Champion and the $25,000 grand prize.
Bake Off: The Professionals
Teams of professional pastry chefs across Britain compete in a spectacular bake-off. They create exquisite desserts and showpieces in a bid to impress world-renowned judges and be crowned the winner.
Chef and restauranteur, Ina Garten, shares delicious recipes inspired from cuisines all around the world, perfect for entertaining or eating at home.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
Man V. Food: Hall Of Fame
Food enthusiast Casey Webb travels across the U.S. in search of the country’s ultimate eating challenges. From his most memorable BBQ dishes to his favourite desserts, Casey counts down some of his greatest feasts.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Chef Nancy Fuller gathers the best the land has to offer and feeds her friends and family classic, farm fresh meals.
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge samples the best pub food the UK has to offer and demonstrates how to make hearty dishes inspired by British pub classics, from the comfort of your own home.
John Torode's Asia
Chef John Torode embarks on a spectacular journey around Asia. He tastes mouth-watering flavours and dishes and meets brilliant culinary teachers that inspire him to create new dishes of his own.
The Best Of Man V. Food
From visiting America's greatest pig-out spots to taking on the most legendary eating challenges, Adam Richman has sampled some incredible dishes. Relive some of his favourite mouth-watering moments.
Cleaning Up In Mississippi
In Mississippi, a husband and wife are on the brink of divorce because of their failing restaurant. They call on chef Robert Irvine for help.
Desserts Doing Good
The final three young bakers create cakes to impress the judges. They must stick to a school club theme for a chance to be crowned winner and take home $25,000.
The sun is shining, and Ree is doing some California-style cooking. She makes wine-roasted chicken with pistachio pesto pasta and vibrant cauliflower tacos.
Friends In Need
Robert arrives at New Orleans to find a restaurant full of history but in need of his help. The livelihood of two families depends on its success.
After fishing in Le Grau-du-Roi, Michel shares his recipe for a flavourful mackerel dish. Later, he cooks a succulent roast chicken with herb butter.
Ainsley prepares meals for a lazy Sunday, from sweetcorn fritters with poached egg to slow-roasted lamb. Gyles Brandreth shares his recipe for fish finger sandwiches.
Film Crew Takeout
Ree Drummond cooks for her kid crew after a day of filming. She makes veggie packed burritos, tortilla soup, s'mores brownies and baked BBQ ribs.
Listless In Louisiana
Robert travels to Louisiana to visit Boutte's Bayou Restaurant. Owner Nick is too proud to ask for help, so Robert trains him be a leader and trust his staff.
Ainsley brings a classic British pub menu into the kitchen. His yummy dishes include sausages with mustard mash. And, Selasi Gbormittah makes hazelnut profiteroles.
Ree shares delicious eats to take to parties and cookouts. Dishes include a grilled potato salad, queso with grilled veggies and quick and easy fruit tarts.
House Of Cards
Robert visits Cafe No Fur in Las Vegas, where the owners – a model and a former poker player - must change their stubborn ways if they want the business to survive.
Ainsley recreates his favourite takeaway dishes, from Indian to Italian. Anita Rani joins him to cook a smoked aubergine curry, and Jeremy Pang makes crispy chilli beef.
Home: Dinner Start To Finish
Ree makes dinner in real time, starting at the end with dessert. And, she makes steak Diane, easy roasted parmesan potatoes and garlic butter mushrooms.
A Dream In Shambles
Robert heads to Las Vegas to work his magic at A Pizza Melody. The owner's husband has spent almost $1 million trying to make it a success, to no avail.
Ainsley celebrates a great British tradition: tea. He puts a modern twist on a classic with black forest brownies. And, actor John Partridge serves up sausage rolls.
Home: Tale Of 4 Dinners
Ree dishes up a tasty tale of four dinners. They include sticky soy glazed salmon with broccolini and lime rice, and creamy gnocchi with chorizo and peppers.
Adam is in Texas to chow down on a 42-inch pizza smothered in mozzarella. And, he is challenged to eat a five-pound grilled cheese sandwich.
Adam samples a Triple Threat Pork Sandwich in Detroit. And, he travels to Knoxville to take on a gigantic pork burrito challenge that’s never been conquered.
Adam tastes a succulent Italian beef sandwich and a slow-cooked BBQ brisket. Later, he is given 15 minutes to eat his way through a six-layer meat platter.