Organic Asparagus and Hollandaise Tart
- Cooking Time90 mins
For the vinegar reduction:
For the hollandaise:
For the short crust pastry:
For the tart:
1. Before making the hollandaise, make the vinegar reduction by putting all the ingredients in a pan over a medium heat. Reduce until 50ml of liquid remains, strain and set aside.
2. Add the yolks, whole eggs and vinegar reduction to a double boiler (or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water) to make the hollandaise. Whisk until the mixture has doubled in volume then take off the heat.
3. Gradually add the cream to the egg mixture until it is thoroughly combined.
4. For the pastry, rub together the flour and butter (or mix in a food processor) until you have a sandy consistency.
5. Combine the egg, milk and salt in a jug, then add to the flour and butter. Mix to form a dough, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
6. Set the oven to 185°C/165°C fan/Gas Mark 4.
7. Roll out the pastry to a 3-5mm thickness on a lightly floured surface so that it will fit a 12 inch round fluted tin with a removable base. Make sure the pastry overhangs the edges of the tin slightly, as it will shrink in the oven.
8. Use a fork to prick the base of the tart. Line with parchment paper (or cling film) and baking beans before placing in the oven for 20 minutes to bake blind.
9. Carefully lift off the lining paper and beans before returning to the oven for a further 10 minutes. The pastry should be cooked to a light golden brown.
10. Use the beaten egg to brush over the pastry case, and use a sharp knife to carefully trim and neaten up the edges.
11. Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C/150°C fan/Gas Mark 3.
12. Peel and blanch the asparagus spears in salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and place in a bowl of iced water to refresh and stop the cooking process.
13. Fill the pastry case with the hollandaise sauce and place the asparagus on top.
14. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly set, before leaving to cool in the tin. Remove from the tin and garnish with the chives and, if using, the edible flowers.
For more inspiration and tips visit the Organic UK Facebook page.
Other recipes with egg
Big Herby Yorkshire Pudding
Basil, Ricotta, Walnut and Parma Ham Cocktail Quiches
Ginger Snap Cocktail
Candy Cane Cookies
Mini Christmas Cakes with Soft Silver Pearls
Mini Christmas Cakes
Brandy-Soaked Christmas Cupcakes
Turkey, Red Pepper and Basil Frittata
Turkey and Brussels Bubble and Squeak
White Chocolate Buche De Noel
Winter Wonderland Cake
John Whaite's Quick Christmas Fruit Cake
Panettone Bread Pudding
Stuffing and Gravy from Tristan Welch's Mum
Brie En Croute
Rosemary Shrager's Egg Nog
Toffee Apple Cupcakes
Surprise Batty Loaf Cake
Devil's Food Cheesecake
Halloween Spice Cake
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown
Teams tackle themed gingerbread build challenges for a prize worth $10,000.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Buddy Vs. Christmas
Baking legend Buddy Valastro has taken on every cake challenge imaginable. Now, to mark the festive season, he takes on America’s greatest non-baking artists in a series of delicious Christmas-themed challenges.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking
Gordon Ramsay shares his top recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Grandma Grocery Games
Guy Fieri welcomes four grandmothers to show off their culinary skills. In one round, they must cook their most requested family dish.
All ABC Games
Guy Fieri invites chefs to compete in three rounds featuring seafood and fried ingredients. The winner will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
All-Stars' Full Meal
Celebrity chefs take on three-course meal challenges. In one round, the chefs must include a special ingredient of Guy's choosing in their international dish.
Guy Fieri welcomes three couples to take on his culinary games. In one round, the loved-up duos must work against the clock to make a wedding dinner.
Pro Athletes And Judges
Guy invites three professional athletes to test their culinary skills. In one round, the sporting stars must shop for their ingredients while blindfolded.
Allegra travels to the Aegean coast and explores the diet of Turkey’s past. Back at home, she feels inspired to make a tasty artichoke and sausage salad.
Allegra heads to the vibrant city of Bursa and explores the morning food markets. Later, she learns from the grandson of the man who invented the doner kebab.
Three teams of chefs represent their restaurants as they compete in two action-packed rounds. The winning team will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to get creative and assemble tasty sandwiches. The chef who has the most skill between two slices of bread will win up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri gives four home cooks a chance to prove their culinary skills. The rookie who best rises to the challenge will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Ultimate Asian Food Showdown
Four chefs face off to see who can make the tastiest Asian cuisine. In one round, the chefs must use tiny carts to shop for their rice dishes.
Guy Fieri invites three of America’s best cheese chefs to take on his culinary games. The final round pits the competitors against chef Eric Greenspan.
Allegra is in Iznik to learn the secrets to making a stuffed flatbread called gozleme. Back in the kitchen, she demonstrates how to cook chicken guvec.
Chef Allegra McEvedy explores the culinary culture of Istanbul. She visits a world-famous spice market and samples a variety of unique Turkish Delights.
Wild And Crazy Budget Games
Guy Fieri challenges four talented chefs to make tasty dishes on a budget. The winner gets a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
The chefs are challenged to make full meals for four on a budget of $5. The competitor who beats some of Guy's toughest games yet gets prize worth up to $20,000.
All Budget Wheel Games
Guy Fieri spins a wheel to decide how much the chefs will get to spend on ingredients for their dishes. The winner gets a prize worth up to $20,000.
Clash Of The Vegetarians!
Four veggie masters compete for a prize worth up to $20,000. In one round, a wheel determines the classic meat dishes the chefs must make vegetarian.
Duff's New Year's Eve Cake-Off
Four professional bakers must capture change through the years in their innovative New Year's Eve cakes, but there's a catch: The cakes must also transform from old to new.