Organic Game Scotch Eggs
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time5 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
2. Place 4 eggs in a small saucepan with enough water to cover the eggs by 2cm. Place over a high heat. As soon as the water boils, set a timer for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, remove the eggs immediately and plunge into a bowl of iced water to cool.
3. In a bowl, add the minced pork, minced game, thyme leaves and seasoning (add a splash of port or brandy if you wish). Mix thoroughly and form 4 patties with your hands. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 10 minutes.
4. Once the eggs are cool, carefully remove the shells. Flatten each meat pattie into a round disk and place an egg in the centre. Wrap the meat mixture carefully around each egg to evenly encompass it.
5. Put the flour into a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl beat the remaining egg with the milk. Place the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Then gently roll each meat and egg ball through the flour, gently tap off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg mixture and finally roll through the breadcrumbs. Ensure all sides are evenly coated.
6. Roll gently in the hands to produce a neat and even finish.
7. Heat a deep fat fryer with oil deep enough to cover the eggs and heat to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Fry the Scotch eggs for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
8. Carefully remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil. Place on a baking tray in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
For more inspiration and tips visit the Organic UK Facebook page.